Bing Carb.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Kevin O Connor

Bing Carb.

Post by Kevin O Connor »

The carp on my 40 seems to be flooding. Is the needle under the float ? Is it easy to remove and clean. I am assuming there is a small bit of grit or dirt stopping it from stopping the flow.
AusOB_Collector

Re: Bing Carb.

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Have you checked that the tickler is not stuck down?

Some pics would be super helpful, we all like pics.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

a hole in the float??

AJ
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Ok. i checked and the tickler is not stuck. I took off the float and it appears to be intact. Reassembled everything and same problem. Took off bowl and turned on petrol, good flow, held up float with my finger, no flow. I did notice when taking off the float that the retaining pin is slightly bent, but float appears unaffected. Now open to any suggestions ! Thanks for the answers and patience !
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Pop the float out again and catch the fuel needle before you loose it on the floor somewhere. (try and straighten the pin too as this wont help much)
I bet the coating on the fuel needle is a bit worn and gnarly.
Some have what looks like a rubber coating and others appear to be solid brass. (the carb on my featherweight has a rubber tipped needle)
If your needle isn't seating correctly, this will cause it to flood all the time.

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thanks for all the advice, I think I have the problem solved. I noticed the adjuster on the throttle cable was wound down to the limit. I presume this was stopping the needle from retracting fully, causing fuel to seep into the carb body. Might be worth remembering for anyone with similar problems. Just another thing to put on the check list !
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Hopeful that you have solved the problem with that?

Just a heads up with the float pin. They must be perfect as new shiny bright and ARRRR shipshape me hearty.

They are total sods as one glance at them means.....distorted.

John has them.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

The pin looks perfect, shiney and bright, ( sounds like a christmas carol ), but seriously, the tip is sort of rubber and it looks fine. So far so good. :roll:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I cant see that the throttle cable adjuster will have anything to do with the flooding? All the throttle cable does is lift and lower the throttle slide.
Fuel comes in through a seperate chamber of the carb. The fuel needle as mentioned before, if the the pin that holds the float in place is bent or corroded this will cause a potential problem. Alternatively it could be the fuel needle itself. Take a closer look at the fuel needle and pay particular attention to the pointed end as this is what controls the fuel on/off relative to the float position within the bowl. The tips can get a bit furred up and corroded and lead to "dribbling" hence the constant fuel flow/flooding. Might be worth taking a peek at the orifice that the fuel needle goes up and down. These Bing carbs do corrode quite badly sometimes inside. I had exactly the same problem with my featherweight when i rebuilt it. After 3 attempts it was the fuel needle not seating correctly in it's orifice.

You'll get there i'm sure. :P

Jon