40 plus exhaust

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Kevin O Connor

40 plus exhaust

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Can anyone tell me, if the exhaust tube is supposed to be sealed where it goes on to the gearbox housing ? Is there supposed to be exhaust gases escaping for there, or only through the bottom exhaust outlet.
Thanks.
headdownarseup

Re: 40 plus exhaust

Post by headdownarseup »

Chances are, if your exhaust tube is a tad on the loose/wobbly side at the bottom (where it joins the pumphousing), it's more likely to be the pumphousing that is slightly corroded allowing some of the gasses to escape through any gaps that exist.
Ideally YES. The tighter the fit the better really. (but not so tight that you can't remove the tube again)

I think a strip down is in order to assess the situation before you decide on the next course of action.

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thats what I thought. Any suggestions as how to tighten it up ? Would a large circular clip do it. ?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Strip the drive leg down to expose the pumphousing.
See if you can fill the corrosion with an epoxy type material. (JB QUICK or similar)
Trial fit the exhaust tube back onto the pumphousing and see if it's made any difference.

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Will do, thanks. You are a mine of information. 8)
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Hardly a "mine".
Just thinking on my feet.
Ideally the ally parts are better off getting welded to get things back to their original size etc. (expensive unless you can weld yourself)

Not always practical to have bits welded, so perhaps easier sometimes with epoxy materials.

Jon
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

24 years in the motor trade and this is the best sealant I have ever come across, it's factory spec for most jap cars for water pumps and gear boxes where no gasket is used, for your application it would be perfect, high spec, easy and non permanent, it's even grey so you won't see it. Personally I don't mind the exhaust leaking a little onto the gearbox, makes them look used.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Kevin O Connor wrote:Can anyone tell me, if the exhaust tube is supposed to be sealed where it goes on to the gearbox housing ?
No it should not.

It is a loose clearance fit, the only motor where they attempted a semi seal, was the 170 with its stepped plastic collar.

The rest are a rattle fit.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Personally I would leave it well alone unless the hosing is really badly corroded. As H-A says it's a rattle fit.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

every one of my engines (16) have some blow by. plus all the 102's with the water line routing through the bottom will pass exh. its really not a problem. I certainly wouldn't try sealing them.

AJ