Century 90

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Kevin O Connor

Century 90

Post by Kevin O Connor »

I have a century 90 Number EFNRE 2933AA0. The problem I have is that it will not go into Forward gear, it goes into reverse no bother but not forward. This is an engine I send to Wales a couple of years ago to be rebuilt, and to be honest it has not been used since. The gears have given me trouble since shortly after the rebuilt. but it was too expensive to send it back. It had turned me off Seagulls for a couple of years, but am starting to get the bug again. Anyone have any ideas on what would be causing it, and how to put it right ? By the way, I am a total novice at this so please no technical terms. (Treat me like a little child) . :lol:
tambikerboy

Re: Century 90

Post by tambikerboy »

One thing for sure you will get all your answers here it will be up and running in jig time i have four lollipops here how about a straight swap (you did say treat me like a little child) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Yeah, but my mammy told me never take lollipops for a strange man ! :lol:
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

To be honest it is too big for the boat I have but I would love it get it up and running again.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Could just be that the shift linkage is out of adjustment. Might want to try disconnecting shift shaft from shift lever then try to see if it will go in gear. If it does, then adjust shift shaft length to suit
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thanks, I will try that
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

O.K. I took off the rod going to the gear box, but found I couldn't push or pull on the rod , for fear of bending it. I saw there were only two bolts holding on the gearbox so decided to take the whole thing off to give myself some room to work. On the bench I removed the oil filler plug, and low and behold all that came out was water. Now bearing in mind, that this engine was rebuilt by so called seagull experts two years ago, and cost me over 500 pounds, to say I am slightly annoyed is an understatment. However , where do I go from here ?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Do tell who these experts are!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

A company called Classic Seagulls :evil:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Biggest bunch of crooks going.....
some of us have had previous dealings with them (not all bad i have to say) but generally not that good.

I would always advise anybody that is reasonably confident with a spanner or screwdriver to attempt this sort of work themselves.

Bear with me and i'll get some pics uploaded which may help you.
:P

Jon
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

That would be great , Thanks. You live and learn, sadly it is often expensive to learn
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Just another update. I have stripped the gearbox and everything seems to be ok. The bar that comes down from the lever seemed to be seized, so I have sprayed a lot of wd40 into it, and it appears to have loosened, i.e. is moving up and down. One thing has me puzzeled, there is a collar which goes onto the shaft, at the front end of the gearbox, but I can't remember if it goes on before the gear or after it. i.e. between the gear and the front cover. I am hoping someone on here will know and tell me before I put it back together. Thanks in advance.
Kevin
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Right then, pics might help a bit here.
Good work so far..
Hopefully the pics will give you some idea at least.
Now you can fully appreciate why these gearboxes must be kept full of oil ALL THE TIME. (no excuses now)
I would guess one of the reasons why your box filled up with water in the first place was due to the oil seals being defective. (there's 2 of them, one on the prop shaft and the other is at the pinion) With a bit of luck, by renewing the oil seals it will help reduce the amount of water ingress.
Now is probably a good time to order some new parts from John. A set of gaskets,2 new oil seals, and a new filler plug.
90 grade oil is what goes in these instead of the heavier 140 for the "classics".
Clean EVERYTHING inside the box before you re-assemble it and make sure it's moving free.
Chances are that the last bunch of cowboys that looked at this didn't even top up the oil before it was shipped to you.

I was lucky with mine as it's from a low hours motor despite being used entirely in salt water, but still has the same problem as yours. Stiff gear selection!

Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on

Jon
Attachments
this cover needs to come off
this cover needs to come off
dont loose the screws and make sure they go back where they came from, they're not all the same size
dont loose the screws and make sure they go back where they came from, they're not all the same size
there's a roll pin at the top which must be removed first before the pivot then the bracket
there's a roll pin at the top which must be removed first before the pivot then the bracket
at the bottom of the U shaped bracket are 2 plungers. I bet your's are stiff/stuck?
at the bottom of the U shaped bracket are 2 plungers. I bet your's are stiff/stuck?
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Thanks for that. You are right, one of the plungers was stuck. A bit of gentle persuasion a some wd40 has freed it. Any chance of photos of the fronr end of the shaft ? :roll:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Let's have a look...

Anything else you need :P

Jon
Attachments
this gets re-fitted after the cover. the drive spring locates into this.
this gets re-fitted after the cover. the drive spring locates into this.
prop and retaining collar fitted. the drive spring gets held into the back of the prop by 2 lugs cast in the back of the prop.
prop and retaining collar fitted. the drive spring gets held into the back of the prop by 2 lugs cast in the back of the prop.