Silver Century - 1973

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rcnight
Silver Century - 1973

Post by rcnight »

Gents- took my head off to clean up some water flow blockage issues. Most of the ports on the end were crusted over. Can anyone direct me to a photo of a clean head as reference? Any tips on cleaning up the water jacket much appreciated. Also, what is the torque value for the head bolts? Should new ones be installed? Thanks for the assist.
JERSEYMAN

Re: Silver Century - 1973

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Head torque spec is 18 lb/ft and base nuts 9 lb/ft but to be honest I normally do them up by feel, it's the best way for me as it takes into account friction and the condition of the threads but that's difficult to translate that into words, it will be interesting to hear what other people have to say, also if the head bolts are in good condition I reuse them.
The fact that you have removed the head without snapping the bolts means you are well on your way.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 266 times
headdownarseup

Re: Silver Century - 1973

Post by headdownarseup »

As a mechanic in my day job, i go by "feel" a lot of the time. (i think the term used in the seagull manuals is "bench experience") same thing.
I also try and re-use the old head bolts. Clean the threads up with a wire brush, same on the heads of the bolts too, makes them look pretty again. Also try and clean the internal threads as these can often get "furred up" right at the bottom of the thread closest to where the water is.There's often a plug of rust in there which will need to come out before you re-assmble.
A small diameter masonry drill- bit works quite well in the waterjacket, other than small screwdrivers and various scrapers pretty much anything small enough should do the job.
Caustic soda works too but will need to be left to soak for a couple of days to do a half decent job of it once the loose debris has been removed.

Get stuck in with it.
Any pics? we like pics :P

Jon