Before I throw it off the pier.

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Re: Before I throw it off the pier.

Post by Collector Inspector »

You may have to change out the ignition.

I noted that you stated that

"I do think the spark at the plug is very weak but the one at the points is a good blue".

Duff condenser. That is why you are replacing points?

Obviously your condenser is open circuit as there is spark. Clip another to the points and see what happens short term.

Never know aye.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Well gentlemen,just before I read Collector Inspectors post I give it another go.I hooked up the timing light and I have intermittent spark on the HT lead,which is brand new.So I have to agree with him and Charles,who also suggested it,which is why I got the timing light out.Why didn't I do it before this?? :cry:
I have read a post on here where someone attached an external condenser to a wipac II.I'll go and have a look at that.Time I have plenty of
The carb is a 7/16" as determined by a 1/2" bit that wouldn't go,I can sort that by drilling it out.Pic of carb attached
Attachments
Carb side view.jpg
Carb 716.jpg
Collector Inspector

Smile.

Any type of condenser off anything with a magneto will do. Do not bother with research etc.

Let us know how ya go aye!

B
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

:oops: :oops: :oops: If there were prizes for stupidity,I would win them all.
So intermittent spark,will get condenser on Monday in town,so I go to dismantle points and as I have a "new" set coming,I'll remove the old ones and leave it handy.
I unscrewed the wire from the coil , :evil: ,the wire came away with only a strand holding.So I stripped a bit screwed it back up,just for fun I tightened down the coil nuts a turn or four,while I'm here I'll clean the points,again,and wipe with acetone and sure as it's a Saturday afternoon and nothing else to do,except maybe paint the bedroom,wash the backyard and a whole lot of silly household chores,I'll give her a pull.She ran for fifteen minutes until the tank ran dry,surged a little here and there and when I pushed the tiller over left,ok,nautical,port,the RPMs rose.But she's running........
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Please bear in mind that the smaller 7/16" villiers carbs are getting a bit thin on the ground these days. (a few of us on here are always looking for the smaller carbs)
Why not look out for the correct sized carb, at least that way you are absolutely sure there will be very few issues with the fueling.
(might even run a bit better with no surging)

Jon
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Ok I'll leave the carbs alone,I have two @ 7/16",only one complete,so if anyone wishes to do a swap for a 1/2",I'm more than happy to.
But I would like to thank everyone for your advice and encouragement,I was on the verge of giving up.
Noel
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've PM'd you :P

jon
Collector Inspector

Ignitions are not that expensive to replace.

I buy quite a few things from this seller every now and again.....always good parts to date. I pay postage to AU as well. Postage is always a consideration as to value for money at the end of the day and unwrapping later.

Ebay Item 321888837670

Just a suggestion is all.

Cheers

B
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Aye I've bought from him before,but I found a loose screw for the points wire to coil and one strand of wire wrapped around it, :oops: ,should have checked it before this.Anyway when I pared a little of the insulation wrapped it up and tightened the screw,it fired up straight away.
Collector Inspector

haventaclue wrote:Aye I've bought from him before,but I found a loose screw for the points wire to coil and one strand of wire wrapped around it, :oops: ,should have checked it before this.Anyway when I pared a little of the insulation wrapped it up and tightened the screw,it fired up straight away.
Well you are all squared away and shipshape aye!

Now get into pics on a transom!

Well Done!

B
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Well thanks to everyone who replied,especially Charles and Jon.
Got her up and running with 1/2" carb,and nearly new crankshaft,thank you Jon,100psi compression.Started third pull.Running sweet in tank with prop,got distracted,monumental f*** up,60 psi compression,but will start but sounds sick,not as sick as I feel, :evil: :evil: :evil: .I knew she wasn't pumping water because of the prop,so normally I run it without.
If this was my first water cooled machine I would see through it,I seized my first outboard through lack of knowledge when I was fifteen,and that was a long time ago.
So the cylinder is scored,no scrapes or marks on the rings,a little on the piston skirt,rubbed with 1500 wet 'n' dry,that seems to have smoothed it out but I think I would prefer to replace piston and rings.So if anyone has the piston,rings and block for a forty plus they would like to part with,reasonably,please pm me.
I know it's mainly enthusiasts and collectors on this forum,and I doubt I'll ever be a collector,but I enjoy reading the discussions on the different breeds of the Gull,so thanks for bearing with me while I attempt to put this damm bitsa together and get it running.Yep I know it was going over the pier ,but I have the bug to get it running
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Come on Noel, fess up.
What exactly was your monumental f*** up !!!

Can't be all that bad, surely :shock:

Jon
AusOB_Collector

Post by AusOB_Collector »

By the sounds of it, no oil? :shock:

Seagulls are quite indestructible so you should be ok.

BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Collector Inspector

My thoughts as well.

TCW "0"?

B
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Engine clamped to a stand,removed flywheel and ignition plate,dismantled from the top lifting the water tube up.
On reassembly I put the head and crank case with water tube down the exhaust,bolted it up,got distracted,and forgot to check if the water tube went into the water way in the gear box.So when I fired it up with prop no water,so I pulled the prop,fired her up,engine hot,still no water,scratched head,engine revs slowed,penny dropped with almighty clang,too late.
On a brighter note,I pulled it over this morning and she fired up first pull ran for about ten seconds,so I'll strip her down again,anneal the copper gasket,it's impossible to find anyone local with honing stone small enough to fit in the cyl,put her all together and see how it goes.But not for a week,those household chores that I put off need to be looked after.