little forty gearbox filler cap

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

cat5cable
little forty gearbox filler cap

Post by cat5cable »

removed the gearbox from the leg but unable to remove the large brass filler cap, should I heat the ali casing or the brass filler cap ?

btw the gearbox has seized after being dry stored for a few years, I have owned this engine about 20 years.

tim
headdownarseup

Re: little forty gearbox filler cap

Post by headdownarseup »

Go VERY CAREFULLY.
What i suggest is some heat on the casing to start with, then using a suitable strip of long/ thin, strong metal (it must be a nice tight fit inside the slot of the drain plug) use this as a lever to undo the drain plug.
DONT FORCE IT.
If it won't go the first time, heat again and soak with suitable penetrating fluid (wd40 or similar) and try again.

Heat (and very often more than you think is required) is your best buddy.

Any probs drop me a pm, i've done loads of them. :P

Jon
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Last one I did the brass plug was solid, so I had to resort to mole grips as well as heat. The damage was made good by turning the plug down slightly!
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Try this spray the plug with this product and according to the notice on the tin it releases corroded on parts. No idea what the success rate is but Loctite usually produces good products.

Loctite Freeze & Release - - Henkel
www.henkelna.com › ... › Industrial › Product Search
LOCTITE® Freeze & Release Penetrating Oil instantly freezes seized and rusted bolts, nuts and studs down to -38°F(-39°C). The exceptional shock-freeze effect ...

AJ
cat5cable

Post by cat5cable »

thanks all for the replies,

its been soaking in a gallon of diesel for a week, but still with heat and molegrips wont budge :(

is it worth putting the whole thing in the freezer ? minus the diesel lol

will try that loctite stuff

tim
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

A good powerful blowtorch will budge it.

TIP:
remove just 1 of the screws that holds on the end cap. When you apply some heat to the casing, the missing screw will allow any pressure that builds up inside the casing to escape easily.
HEAT and possibly a good pair of molegrips might be a good move. Keep your hammers locked away for the moment....

Jon
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"The Locktite Stuff"..........I tried that twice.........I must have old stock cans as their was no chilling effect at all........not even when sprayed on to my skin.

The stuff that chills may have leaked out of the cans before I bought them?

Give it a go you may be luckier than me.

I had a very stuck plug and soaked and heated and nothing. I did not want to distort either the outer with grips or the slot so I modified an impact driver bit......the largest flat one to be longer and a snug fit........bit of a mission but it was the impact and twist that moved the plug.

Once it moved the other treatments worked a treat and end result an undamaged plug.

I HIT IT HARD!

Just once and it moved.

These can be a right pain in the transom cushion aye.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
cat5cable

Post by cat5cable »

ok result its undone but the nice brass filler looks like a threepenny bit lol and bone dry inside :(

now have to strip it down and try to unseize it.

tim
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

It's always nice to be able to retain the original brass bung, but it sounds like yours might be a tad worse for wear now!

John has new plastic filler bungs that fit. Give him a try?

Hmmmm, the age old problem with these gearboxes. Worn out bushes causing lots of oil loss over the years, that coupled with non-existant maintenence over extended time is the probable cause of your woes.

A blowtorch comes in handy at times with dismantling and freeing off stuck parts.
Let us know how the strip down is going!

Jon
cat5cable

Post by cat5cable »

how do i remove this gear this is the seized one.

tim
Attachments
seagull.jpg
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi,
I knock out the gear and bush by heating the casting and then with an aluminium/brass bar (preferably flat) located on the gear just hit it out. The bar will be at quite an angle, but, in my experience, they come out fairly easily. It should not damage the gear, although by the sounds of things it may be in very poor condition anyway.
Good luck!
Jeremy
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

In your last picture i can see that the drive tube has been removed from the pinion. (is this correct)

What i suggest is this. (a bit less intrusive than removing the pinion alltogether)
Re-attach the drive tube to the pinion.
Then clamp the drive tube into a vice so that the gearbox is sitting with END CAP side facing upwards.
Out with the blowtorch and heat the OUTSIDE of the gearcase in the area of the pinion. Dont be scared to get this REALLY HOT (but not hot enough to melt the casting)
With wd40 or similar to hand, spray some lube onto the pinion bush (wear some heavy duty gloves) and GENTLY start to turn the gearbox.
Probably all that's "stuck" is the pinion inside the bush. (rust from a steel pinion running inside a phosphor bronze bush, add water into the mix and a few years of inactivity and this is where you are now) Some heat and a little lube will normally budge it. (I've done loads like this before)

The trouble is, if you start to remove things from the gearbox, you still have the problem of re-fitting it.
Jeremy is right, the pinions do come out without too much trouble. I've done a few, but you will need heat to do this. Without heat you will almost certainly shatter something.
Once you've got things on the move again, this is the ideal time to assess how much play there is in the pinion bush. Bottom line is, if you dont need to remove it then DONT. (you might regret it later on when it starts leaking out more oil than it needs to) unless of course your pinion gear is badly chewed up at the moment but going by the pics it doesn't look too bad to me. The teeth still look pretty good and square (not pointy from excessive wear)
Then again, new parts are sometimes available if you need them. Check first before you decide on a full-on rebuild as to the availability of certain parts.

Any more help just ask

Jon
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Just give it some heat! More than you think will be just about enough!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I've said it before and will say it again. HEAT is often your best buddy when it comes to dismantling anything on an old seagull motor such as this.

Corrosion (some you can see, and there's some you cannot) can often lead to much headscratching in how some things come apart.

Common sense and a methodical approach will win the day.
Slow and sure

Jon