Gear oil coming out water inlet slots

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Tanzer22

Gear oil coming out water inlet slots

Post by Tanzer22 »

Hi,
So I replaced the oil in my gearbox with 90 weight thickened with a thickening agent, to make it closer to 140.
I filled to level with the bottom of the filler drain hole. This is measured with the engine in the upright vertical position.
After I was done I laid it down in the back of my truck( Lorry ) It was in there for about a week. When I took it out and stood it upright gear oil came out the cooling water intake slots. Not sure if the oil is still to thin and in leaked out the upper shaft seal from the top of the gear case, or if I actually spilt some in the slot when filling. But if I had of spilt some in the slot when filling the gearbox, I thought I would have seen it come back out when I stood it upright to check the oil level after filling.

Thoughts on this?

Glen
Oyster 49

Re: Gear oil coming out water inlet slots

Post by Oyster 49 »

This is quite common. The oil in the box is leaking past the pinion shaft, which is probably a little worn. Hence the thicker the oil the better.
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Thanks for the reply Oyster.
Are there replacement seals available? Or do I just keep using the engine with thicker oil in the box?

Glen
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Which engine model is it? If it is a sealed box you could consider seal replacement. However I'm not sure if the original seals were that good...
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

It's a 1972 40 Plus

Glen
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Would you like a good replacement pinion gear with bush?
I have a few.
As Oyster has pointed out, chances are that the pinion is getting tired and in need of replacing. (i'm not sure if John or Sheridan has any of these. You might be lucky)
The other alternative is to use the correct oil, 140 grade in this case. It should be very thick and sticky but still be able to pour!
Thicker the better.

Brand new parts can be quite expensive through the normal channels.
However the second hand market is thriving over here!

Just ask and someone will provide... :P

Jon
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Thanks Jon,
I'm going to have a look tomorrow and check the oil and see if water got in there from Saturday's outing.
The engine is run in fresh water only.
Then based on what I see, I'll make the call on replacement.

Glen
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Because SAE 140 etc. are automotive grade designations try looking for a commercial oil of between 33 and 50 Min. Viscosity [mm²/s] at 100 °C (ASTM D445) this is equivalent to an SAE viscosity grade of 190 to 280. Commercial grades for mining, heavy machinery etc are not sold with an SAE label but will usually have the min viscosity at 100"C indicated.

Call one of the oil major help lines and ask for a recommendation for an oil with between 33 and 50 Min. Viscosity [mm²/s] at 100 °C. Also note that the oil will be subject to water ingress and needs to form an emulsion. Shell, Exon BP etc all have sales contact reps who are generally quite helpful. With all the shale oil mining in Canada there are bound to be good heavy duty oils available for the mining equipment.

Incidentally SAE 140 is about 23 min vis and SAE 90 is only about 13.

Further all Seagull non sealed boxes (which yours is) are going to allow water to enter the box so you will find some indication after even a short trip. If its a good oil with high emulsification properties no free water will be present. If the oil is designed to resist water, free water can be drained out.

AJ
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Hey thanks Adian!
That's some super helpful info.
I have played with mixing grease with oil to thicken it and then added water to the finished mix to see if would emulsafy
And it did. So that is also an option if I can't find the industrial weight oil.
Your suggestions and info will really help in my hunt for the right thickness.

Glen
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Okay found this one.
Made by John Deere and there's a JD tractor dealer just down the road.

Here's the specs.

Chemical and physical properties – HD460 Synthetic gear lube
Specifications

ISO Viscosity Grade
460 cSt
Kinematic Viscosity
at 40 °C mm2/s 460
at 100 °C mm2/s 30.8

Viscosity Index
Flash point COC °C
218°C
Flash point COC °F
225°F
Pour point °C
(-33°C)
Density at 15°C
Specific Gravity

Now my only concern is whether there is active sulfer and phosphorous that could damage the brass and bronze bushings?

Glen
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

My understanding is that these ingredients only cause damage at high operating temperatures. As the gull gearbox runs at ambient temperature there is no problem.

AJ
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I use SAE 460 in the grease nipple gearboxes, as it can form an emulsion.

British Seagull & John carry stocks of all the parts for these boxes, pinions, bushes, bearings, prop shafts, cases & crown wheels, though many of these parts seem expensive but not compared with Yamaha & Honda.

I wouldn't bother repairing a box I was keeping with used bearings without checking all their sizes to ensure they were fit for purpose.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Came into work this morning and found a 5 gallon pail of Mobil SHC 630 gear oil sitting beside my desk, that someone has given me. No idea yet who it was?!?!?!
It's rated as 1B on the copper strip test think I'll give it a go.
Viscosity cSt @ 100º C 28.5

Glen
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Glen

I have heard that Canada is FULL of nice people aye.

Then again.....................you have to find out exactly or no sleeping properly until sorted

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Vic

Post by Vic »

Tanzer22 wrote:Came into work this morning and found a 5 gallon pail of Mobil SHC 630 gear oil sitting beside my desk, that someone has given me. No idea yet who it was?!?!?!
It's rated as 1B on the copper strip test think I'll give it a go.
Viscosity cSt @ 100º C 28.5

Glen
Mobil SHC 630 is an ISO 220 gear oil, Viscosity at 40C nominally 220cSt so still lower than an SAE 140 oil which has a viscosity of approx 400cSt at 40C.

However with 5 gallons ( even if they are only US gallons) of freeman's you can top it up or change the oil often enough

OTOH it might be stolen so maybe best to have nothing to do with it.