Cutting out after 10 seconds

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

mick_hill
Cutting out after 10 seconds

Post by mick_hill »

Hi folks,

I’m new to the forum, I had a previous post which I managed to sort before anyone had the chance to reply! I have a LLS11515L, which was completely seized. I took it apart and managed to get it free. Replaced all the gaskets, and put back together. The carb slide is stuck fast so I have fitted another carb (villiers) off another engine. I’ve overhauled the fuel line and made up a fresh fuel mix.

Here is the issue I’m having:

I can get the engine to run but only for a few seconds (10-15) before it cuts out, when it is running it sounds great.
It seems very sensitive to choke movements and starts best with about half choke and full throttle.
The carb bowl overflows.
After taking it out the tank, it appeared to be leaking gearbox oil out of the water intakes.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be the problem, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
headdownarseup

Re: Cutting out after 10 seconds

Post by headdownarseup »

Hi Michael and welcome.
Right then, lets start with the basics.
Remove the "replacement" carb and strip it right down to pieces. Then clean everything paying close attention to the fuel needle in the carb bowl (might be the cause of it flooding all the time).
These carbs really do need to be spotless everywhere.
If you get stuck, go to the main SOS site as there are several diagrams of how this carb comes apart. (quite simple really)

The next thing to look at will be the ignition system, again there will be diagrams on the main site for how all this goes together.

Next, after you've rebuilt all the fuel systen and rechecked the ignition, give the motor another run in the bin.
If the motor still will only run for a few seconds, you could be looking at a leaky head gasket, (as the motor was originally seized when you purchased the motor, when you stripped and rebuilt the motor, did you use any silicone sealent on the head gasket?) or my other guess would be the choke shutter is left closed.

If the motor has a spark and fuel is getting to where it needs to, then there's not much else that will stop it from running. Just how well it runs remains to be seen?

Pics, we like pics. (makes things a bit easier to see what's going on)

jon
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

mick_hill wrote: I can get the engine to run but only for a few seconds (10-15) before it cuts out, when it is running it sounds great.
It seems very sensitive to choke movements and starts best with about half choke and full throttle.
When it is running, and just starts to die, squirt a little wd40 in through the carb (seagulls run well on WD40 for a short time).

If it picks up and continues to run ,then I would say you have a fuel problem.

If the squirt of WD40 has no effect on the running, then crankcase compression could be down due to worn bearing or air leak perhaps.

Give it a squirt, see what happens

H-A
mick_hill

Post by mick_hill »

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I haven’t had a chance to even look a the engine due to uni deadlines. I’m back home now and will give your suggestions a try in the next couple of days and let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Michael