instructions or Amal Carb

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: instructions or Amal Carb

Post by Charles uk »

No, it's a tight interference fit.

From your symptoms is sounds like you have a restriction in the air intake for the emulsion tube (brass component above main jet) connected to the hole in the carb bell mouth.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thanks again Charles, I think I know where you mean, I'll post a few more photos just to be sure
PS a cotton bud stripped of the cotton is a good fit for most of the inlets, the rough finish cleans out gunk
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I really don't know much so all I can do is ask questions and read up
may I ask what the following 6 do
in ONE I can't see an inlet or outlet, should there be one?
in TWO I can't see an outlet, should there be one?
in Three I can't see an outlet, should there be one?
in Four I can't see an outlet but after taking these photos I discovered it does have an outlet
in Five and Six there are no outlets is this right
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

1,5 & 6 - no outlets on this model. 2, 3 & 4 spray out with carb cleaner. Follow with wire in 3 & 4, if corrosion present, blow out and respray till your sure it's clean. That brass atomiser (?) sleeve next to 2 (that the main jet screws into) pops out if you push from the plunger & needle side - give that a good clean, too. There's a small rebate/flange (?) inside it, so make sure to press out with an old drill bit or something that fits down into it (about an 1/8" or so). Pushing on the top (of the bit that you can see in the carb throat) can damage it, if you have to use some gentle persuasion.

And be sure to wire out the fuel inlet (banjo side, behind the screen & through the seat that the float needle fits). Blow out and spray with carb cleaner.

Should be good to go after that...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thank you Naughtybits, I have just redone 2 3 4 with cleaner and 3 and 4 with a wire tooth interdental, they should be clean now
looking round for something to push out the brass atomiser I found this wood handle from an artist's brush its conical and fits inside the atomiser but even after gentle tapping with a hammer it shows no sign of popping out, how hard do you think I can hit it without damage?
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

The age-old question :!: I think you'll have an easier time using an old drill bit or an allen key that fits snug inside - a sharp tap should do the trick.

Edit: I should have clarified to use the blank end of a drill bit against the tube, for the reasons pointed out by Charles...
Last edited by NaughtyBits on Sun May 10, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It sides down into the float chamber, the best way to extract is with a stepped aluminium drift, if damaged it can affect the fuel flow & the emulsion tube is not listed as a separate part in the parts book & it would mean buying a complete new bare carb body, mind you looking at the condition of yours that might best the best idea.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:It sides down into the float chamber, the best way to extract is with a stepped aluminium drift, if damaged it can affect the fuel flow & the emulsion tube is not listed as a separate part in the parts book & it would mean buying a complete new bare carb body, mind you looking at the condition of yours that might best the best idea.
My thoughts exactly, you beat me to it.

I have already tested the paint brush method, and that worked on a non corroded carb.
20150510_164925.jpg
If you have no success, and have no access to a lathe, I can turn a drift up for you.

H-A
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Thanks both, with renewed confidence I gave the brush a harder tap and guess what?
yes the brush snapped inside :shock: I managed to poke out the wood with a cotton bud stick
still no luck in removing the emulsion tube, H-A, thanks, I will take up your kind offer of a Drift if I may. PM on its way
if all else fails can I buy a new bare Carb body? I couldn't see it listed on the AMAL website
Thank you
Steve
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Got your P.M.

I have made you one, and tested it.
20150510_201556.jpg
P.M. your address and I will pop it in the post.

You can pay me in beer. :lol:

H-A
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

What kind of beer? :P
thanks you are a star
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

The Drift arrived this Morning, I put it in place, 4 gentle taps and it was loose, another squirt with WD 40 and I pushed it out.
Charles you were 100% right, the flange was clogged with gunk, I am cleaning it up now with Brasso, the Carb is soaking in Carb cleaner, when the Emulsion tube is glowing I will start on the Carb.
you are amazing, thanks H-A for sending this magic wand
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

The Emulsion tube is bright and sparkling, I checked the little hole and its clear too, the "bit" it fits into has been cleaned and polished, I have just put it all back together and after my lunch it's going in the wheely bin
I am sure it will run like it should
fingers crossed
Steve
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

It started first pull and ran well for about 10 minutes then the engine revved and cut out, so it is still suffering from fuel starvation I think.
I took out the spark plug and it was dry and slightly white so that means running too lean, following the advice I moved the needle down a notch
it took some starting but when it fired it ran well, I warmed it up and to check for cracks in the head I gave it a good soaking of WD40, no signs of bubbles, no difference in engine sound it seemed fine, after 10 minutes the engine started to race so I tickled it and it came back to life for 30 seconds before cutting out.
Where would you go now if it was yours?
I can't be far away can I :cry:

EDIT. I am wondering about the hole in the side of the emulsion tube, should it line up with anything?
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

checking to see what the richer setting did i've had a look at the spark plug again, its tarry