Brought "IT" home, 2 questions.........

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

joe28
Brought "IT" home, 2 questions.........

Post by joe28 »

Well, the 2nd Sea Gull is at the, "Shack for wayward old things"!
This one looks like it's been ridden hard and put away wet.
Ser# says it June 1975 Silver Century.
I have "IT" (no name yet for this one), here at work (warm shop), to let the lower unit drip out, (water and oil).
2 questions....................
I grabbed the flywheel to spin it to help the lower unit YUK drain out and it has play up/down, maybe 1/16" of an inch?? :?:
I didn't check the other motor at home to see if that one does, (I'm thinking not), but I will.
If it were a bike motor, I'd get "nervous" but I know these motors are, well loose tolerance!

Next.
I was driving home with "IT" and it spoke to me.........
"Joe, You know what would be cool on me"?
"What" I replied.
"It'd be cool if a gearbox could be added to me, so I'd have forward and reverse, you know neutral and all that sorta stuff" like a more "normal" outboard.
Is it possible?
Can I swap out a gear box for the lower unit on this year?
AND..
Are they @ and for sale?
Thanks!
Joe
So many "poor things" that need to be fixed up, so few $$!
headdownarseup

Re: Brought "IT" home, 2 questions.........

Post by headdownarseup »

Gearbox swap is an easy(ish) job to do
you'll need the clutched type gearbox (obviously) as well as the pumphousing that matches the box,and the torque tube with the clutch lever and stud attached.
Alternatively see if you can get hold of a "parts motor" with said parts already attached.

I've got a couple spare over here if you're interested? (standard or longshaft?) with props attached!
Pay the postage from the uk and you can have it, not much good to me as i'm tripping over it in my shed!
I'm more into the older 102's so the lower units are completely different on these.

pm me for further details if you like

jon
joe28

Post by joe28 »

PM sent , (I think).
Let me know the what's and hows and it's a done deal.
Joe
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

The gearbox with the reverse is prone to failure plus you have to find the correct prop because most of them come from Kingfishers. This prop will be too much for a silver century. Some centuries have this gearbox but with a smaller prop. This would be suitable for you. Otherwise a clutched (without reverse) either the 4:1 ratio or the 2.5:1 would be fine.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
phil

Post by phil »

If you are on the east coast of north America, I can help you out with the parts you need to convert to the clutched gearbox. The one I have spare is off a Silver Century around the same vintage as yours. Forward and neutral only, as these were built, I have many motors with FNR gearboxes but I hardly ever use reverse anyway.