bikerboyfife

Re: No spark

Post by bikerboyfife »

It just screws of no need to lossen that screw ,,,,,,
malhiggins

Post by malhiggins »

Hi.

When I put the screw back in I can only get only a quarter of a turn back and forth. When the screw is taken completely out it just turns and turns without coming off. Very strange indeed
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Sounds as though the main jet is spinning around. Tighten up the screw (correct position) and put a bit more pressure on the float bowl without breaking anything. A sharp twist to break the cohesion. Good luck.
malhiggins

Post by malhiggins »

Below is a picture, which I got from the Internet, of a carb that is identical to the one I have. There is no screwed thread on the carb body which would allow the float chamber to be screwed into. Instead the 2 parts just push together. Is this not unusual considering the float chamber would be filled with petrol and would require a prefect seal. Despite several tops with a rubber hammer the float chamber will not come off.
Attachments
carb1.jpg
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I just look at in the shed at one and it has a screw in the side, maybe some do, some don't, daft idea really.
If the jet is turning, then I can not see an option of removing it, if the plastic bowl has separated from the brass screw thread in the bottom of the bowl, then the jet tube will not be turning, not uncommon.
BroadReach

Post by BroadReach »

Malhiggins,

The float bowl IS threaded. The thread is on the bottom of the brass tube you see in your PIC. The plastic float bowl has a brass insert in the bottom moulded in which has the thread also. Sounds like the threads are corroded together. Try squirting thin oil or wd40 into the small hole round the perimeter of the float bowl at the top and leave for a day or two to soak. Also try tightening just a very very small fraction of a turn to see if this will break the corrosion.

Good luck!
malhiggins

Post by malhiggins »

I will try the WD40 and leave overnight, but it sounds like I may need a new/second hand carb. Thanks for all the advice.