Is it possible to morph a SJP and a EFPC?

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Re: Is it possible to morph a SJP and a EFPC?

Post by headdownarseup »

i have a few 40 models (most of them pre 62) and they've all got a steel head gasket. One or two have a steel base gasket as well. (might explain why you have a steel gasket,did it come from the SJP by any chance) i bet the EFPC had a copper one fitted!
Newer models in the 40 series i'm sure would have had a copper gasket . Slotted head bolts are from the 50's and 60's and will only fit with certain cylinder heads.The newer ones have the later hex head bolts (easier to remove as well) and quite different around the bolt holes of the head (not recessed as with the "cheese head" screws)

mix and match with the parts and you'll find a lot of things will fit together nicely. Preparation is the key.

Worth mentioning that on the 40 models fitted with the villiers carb the carb size is normally 1/2".
I dont think there will be much (if any) difference between the 2 carbs you have except 1 might have the 25;1 needle jet already fitted. (perhaps the choke is hinged on the left with one and on the right with the other) Unless of course you have the smaller 7/16" version which will still fit but the motor will run a bit erratic (unlikely but worth mentioning)

pics we like pics :P

jon
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Good idea on testing the head gasket from my '60s SJP with a magnet. I'll do that as soon as I get back. My guess is that it's a steel one.

Is it safe to assume the copper one is better? Probably better heat transfer...
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

mashenden wrote:Good idea on testing the head gasket from my '60s SJP with a magnet. I'll do that as soon as I get back. My guess is that it's a steel one.

Is it safe to assume the copper one is better? Probably better heat transfer...
As the later Seagulls all used multi layer copper head gasket even the QB range.

I am confident that this is the best option.

British Seagull currently supply copper head gaskets for the 40 range of motors, including SJP models.
If the copper head gasket that you have is in good condition, then I would use that one

H-A
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yep, use the copper gasket. (cheaper and much more plentiful)
the steel ones can corrode quite badly often as a result from blocked waterways and electrolysis.
Just a big meccano kit for big boys really?

jon
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

The very old head gasket is steel, as was evident by the magnet sticking to it. I'll reuse the copper one from the EFPC. It looks to be in very good condition like the rest of the motor. I will anneal it first, though.

Here is a picture of the heads from each. The older one on the left (SJP) has a relatively unconcerning crack where the tank mounts, but other than that looks good now that the gold paint is removed. It still has the disadvantage of the old bolt style, though. It will go in the parts pile. I'll use the head from the EFPC (on the right).

Also here is the leg mounted to the cleaned up crankcase (all from the EFPC). One day I'll have to replace the lever with something stock.

I'll need a couple of decent days weather-wise so I can paint the block and flywheel before making anymore real progress.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Don't muck about with old gaskets, send John at SOS a mail and he will have one to you in the post that day another few days wait for the post won't matter and you'll have a good job in the end

AJ
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

I did not make much progress over the past month on account of other obligations. But I am back at it again!!

Here is the '60s vintage block primed and almost ready for a coat of gloss black paint. I'll be using VHT High Temp Engine Enamel paint. It bakes on in the oven for a very hard finish.

Last edited by mashenden on Sun May 22, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

looking good so far.
what type of paint is that? is it an etch primer or something similar!
gloss black enamel will look the bees knees when it's finished and should last for quite a while too.

more pics please, we like pics :P

jon
mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Well, were does the time go? It moves fast... 60 minutes an hour, I'm told. Its hard to believe I have tinkered with this on and off for a year and a half now.

Today was raining... in fact, its been raining so much lately here in Virginia that I may consider moving back to the UK if it keeps it up :P

But given the rain and not wanting to start house related projects, I decided it was time to put it all together. I had painted the block gloss black a few months back, using VHT High Temp Engine Enamel spray paint, then baked it in the oven. It is supposed to be very durable against solvents, temperature, etc.

Today I sealed the crankcase, put the painted block on, annealed the old copper head gasket, put on the head, attached the lower unit (with a clutch, which was one of the the main objectives), installed a Wipac top end with points, and put on a nicely painted flywheel (for that older look - another objective). I also put on a tank but it is not yet painted.

Guess what??? I saw a spark!!

While I could not set it up with a full tank of gas and in a water tank, temptation got the better of me. I sprayed a tad... more of a smidge really, of starter fluid into the carb and pulled the cord. I know, probably not the smartest move, but she started right up and ran for about 10 seconds.I take that to be a very positive sign.

Next nice day I will mix up a batch of 2 cycle gas, fill up the garbage bin with water, and "take it for a spin".

Here are some pics:

mashenden

Post by mashenden »

Is it safe to assume that the Villers carb that came on the EFPC has the needle for a 25:1 mixture?

It was built in 1981 and had a blue tank.