cutting out

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: cutting out

Post by Oyster 49 »

It might also be the coil getting hot and then breaking down internally. Is it a villiers or wipac? Villiers coils are known to be a fairly weak point, after reaching old age. Wipacs seem to last OK. Is the HT lead in good order?
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

That's a pretty long list of suggestions, thanks for them all! I will start checking them out one at a time and let you know when I make some progress.
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

No progress, I'm not getting much water time to test it out.
One thing I have noticed though is that the fuel level in the 'clear' plastic U of the fuel line changes. It starts out fully charged but gradually little bubbles appear at the fuel tap end and grow in length until they are about half way round or at the bottom the U. That's about when the motor cuts out. Once stopped, the fuel line fully fills again and restarts easily. I have cleaned out the little filter on the fuel tap and filed the point of the pin that stops fuel flow when the float is up, but without changing the bubbles and void appearing in the fuel line. Am I looking in the wrong direction there, thinking about fuel starvation?
Yes, I always let off the little button on top of the fuel cap.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Sounds like the breather is blocked I know you have opened the breather screw it may be blocked it’s a small
opening easily blocked. Next time you run it when you see the fuel in the line go loosen the cap to check it’s not
the tanks breather, had similar issues with a couple of bikes. Also had a problem when the fuel tap closed when
running fixed by changing the cork.

John
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Filed the point of the pin?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

Charles uk wrote:Filed the point of the pin?
yup.
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

croweater wrote:Sounds like the breather is blocked I know you have opened the breather screw it may be blocked it’s a small
opening easily blocked. Next time you run it when you see the fuel in the line go loosen the cap to check it’s not
the tanks breather, had similar issues with a couple of bikes. Also had a problem when the fuel tap closed when
running fixed by changing the cork.

John
Breather hole clear and spring operating properly. Will try with open fuel cap next clear day, beautiful yesterday, too blowy today.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Are you sure it's not the filter in the tap?
They can get pretty bunged up with crud from the tank? (remove the complete tap from the tank and blow it through with compressed air and carb cleaner)
Worth checking the banjo bolt union at the bottom of the float bowl (46n carb) as there's a small filter in there that gets blocked as well.
(similar strip down /clean procedure with the villiers carb)
CLEAN EVERYTHING that gets blocked. Jets,filters,taps,lines,tank etc.

jon