carbarettor

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

james c

carbarettor

Post by james c »

need help with engine it starts but reves up high then cuts out throttle has no control cleand carb out help please
Keith.P

Re: carbarettor

Post by Keith.P »

Which cab, amal or villiers?
james c

Post by james c »

its a villiers it runs if i keep pressing the tickler i think it is called thanks for any help
phil

Post by phil »

Have you cleaned the entire fuel system from tank through carb? If not now is the time. Also check float is set right. Dump old fuel, maybe save to clean outside if needed.
If tank needs cleaning with anything other than liquids, remove fuel tap as filter screen will damaged by gravel, nuts, bolts, drywall screws, etc often used with dish washing liquid to clean tank interior by shaking.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Not much can be done as far as float adjustment on the villiers, clean the fuel system out as said, if clean, just unscrew the float and see if it has no holes and floats.
Turn the fuel on and see if it comes out the bottom of the carb(with the float removed), if not, a fuel filter maybe blocked, one on the fuel tap and another one in the banjo on the side of the carb.
Vic

Post by Vic »

james c wrote:its a villiers it runs if i keep pressing the tickler i think it is called thanks for any help
The fact that you can keep it running suggest sufficient fuel is getting through the filters ( check them nevertheless)

I reckon the main jet ( centrepiece) must be blocked but check that it is correctly fitted with the little locating and securing screw in the slot in the shoulder, not in the round hole.

You have not told us what model or age engine it is. What's the ID number
james c

Post by james c »

the engine num fpc567ee9 striped carb down and cleaned every thing float is not holed thimking it could be the needle valve behind the float did find slight scores on the piston that holdes needle that seems to metres the mixture could it be this that is causing the reving up and then cut out
Vic

Post by Vic »

james c wrote:the engine num fpc567ee9 striped carb down and cleaned every thing float is not holed thimking it could be the needle valve behind the float did find slight scores on the piston that holdes needle that seems to metres the mixture could it be this that is causing the reving up and then cut out
Are you sure everything is correctly assembled and adusted See this diagram http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fa ... s_carb.htm

If it is then I still think the jet assembly is blocked somewhere.

You presumably tickle the carb to flood it when starting. It runs on that initial slug f fuel and then dies because it is not picking up any more fuel from the bowl . When you tickle it again it floods again and will keep running. All points to a blocked jet

Presumably you are closing the choke

Did you dismantle the centrepiece?
james c

Post by james c »

yes striped carb right down and cleaned it all out every jet think piston is worn
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Could be the wrong carb. I've had a few gulls that had villiers lawnmower carbs attached that don't work. Photos!
james c

Post by james c »

it worked all last year no problem think its needs fuel needle valve valve sticking maby it is cab that came with motor it seems to be runing hot but plenty water coming out could be because it revs so high the cuts out
james c

Post by james c »

thanks for all your help striped carb down again found the problem use were correct the jet was blocked in the center the small hole on side thanks once again running great now
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

usually the only reason why carbs get bunged up is from the last time the engine was used.
i completely drain the float bowl after every run so there is absolutely NOTHING in the bowl. take it off if you have to.
the point is, the next time you come to use the motor, the fuel thats in the bowl could be up to a year old! most of the petrol will have evaporated away leaving behind old crusty oil. as soon as you open the fuel tap with fresh petroil in the tank, the sludge in the bowl blocks up the centre jet (especially in the villiers carbs) and you end up with a seagull that ran perfectly well last year, but this year it doesn't.

basic maintenence is all it is!
clean and drain everything when you "winterize" the motor,so its ready for the next season.

its all on the FAQ's on the main site :)

jon