Seagull Curlew

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

dartmoor

Seagull Curlew

Post by dartmoor »

Hi, just recently acquired a late seagull curlew. It won't start at all - I have tried all the obvious things - new spark plug, checked gap, fresh fuel mix, cleaned carb etc.

Unusually the spark is almost non-existent - undetectable - just a tiny pulse if you put your finger there rather than any ouch. I have reseated the plug cap on the HT lead - still no difference.

So I suppose its something in the ignition that is wrong?

And on this model what is the secret of getting the flywheel off without damaging anything? Does the QB model need a flywheel puller, and if so what specification?

Many thanks in expectation
phil

Re: Seagull Curlew

Post by phil »

Points likely need cleaning. Sorry don't know the flywheel routine. Tried google yet? Sometimes surprising what you can find there.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

No points on this one.

The flywheel can be hard to get off, I made up a puller

You need to drill and tap the flywheel.

I think the CDi units are available from John, if yours is dead.

Not much to see under flywheel when you get it off, worth checking kill switch, and damage to HT lead.

H-A
dartmoor

Post by dartmoor »

Managed to get the flywheel off quite easily using wd40 and the conventional method used for older seagulls. Came off first tap on flywheel nut - so nothing damaged!

Hard to see whats wrong as you say - HT lead has one slight nick out of it, but only a tiny bit on the rubber casing. I really need to see if I can get a swap in Mk 4 Wipac unit.

Turning into a bigger job than I thought though - removed head and found water passage all blocked up with crud - so have been cleaning everything up. Now need to find a head and base gasket.
dartmoor

Post by dartmoor »

phil wrote:Points likely need cleaning. Sorry don't know the flywheel routine. Tried google yet? Sometimes surprising what you can find there.
No points as it is a sealed unit I am afraid
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

John can replace the CDI on an exchange basis & he's got all the gaskets, do the job properly these are one of my favorite Seagulls, treasure it they didn't make many.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
dartmoor

Post by dartmoor »

Sounds good news - I will contact John when he's back. Yes, will try and get this right as it is very rare and a nice one to have. This one is quite late - locking thumbscrews and twist grip throttle, silver paint and "Seagull 4" blue logo on it.

Is it rare for the ignition units to fail?