Removal of Flywheel on SIBA Starter, Help!

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

kenholder

Removal of Flywheel on SIBA Starter, Help!

Post by kenholder »

I am trying to gain access to the pointsand sparkplug cable on a Seagull Silver Century Motor circa 1979. It has the much maligned (According to many posts) SIBA starter on it. I have gotten down to the flywheel but any of the techniques described on other post don't seem to apply to this one.

There are no bolt holes to attach bolts to use to pull. There are no holes in the flywheel to thread a rope through. The flywheel is a solid mass, or so it seems. There is not enough clearance below the flywheel to attach a wheel puller.

There is what appears to be a cylinder on the bolt at the top. I can't tell if it is molded onto the wheel or not. Is this some sort of not that holds the flywheel onto to the shaft. It is not shaped like a bolt.

Any suggestions. I will e-mail John a copy of the photo amybe he can attach it to this post.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Holder
Tampa, FL
Stelios_Rjk

Re: Removal of Flywheel on SIBA Starter, Help!

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hello and welcome!

To upload pictures apart from the forum you could use http://www.photobucket.com/
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Ken,

this is not an odd Flywheel it is a standard CDi flywheel. The recoil start, though with Siba on it is a standard fitment.

Instructions for removing are identical to the ones on the FAQ page that you can print off. DO NOT USE A PULLER!

The ali collar on top will just lift or pry off put plenty of WD40 or similar down the shaft into the flywheel centre and allow to soak for at least 3 days, preferably a week.

Regards,
John
SOS
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hi Ken

Does it look like this?

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

No it won't look like that, the Siba recoil assembly is exactly the same as the later one, the difference is that it just has the legs machined off.

The flywheel is removed like all the rest, as explained in the FAQs.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hi Everyone, Ken mailed me a picture, it is a bog standard CDi ignition MkIII or MkIV flywheel, with the spacer still attached on top, nothing odd at all.

He has removed the rope pull and cup as per my instructions, then the dome cover, he just has to go to the FAQ page and print off the flywheel removal page and follow that.

Regards,
John
SOS
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ken,
If you have what John says, ie a Mark III or Mark VI ignition, there are no points under the flywheel. You have a CDI ignition. So why are you trying to remove the flywheel? No spark condition, or were you just planning to dress the points, which being CDI , you do not have
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Take this with a grain of salt as I am no expert.

To remove a sticky flywheel do not be in a rush. Lots of penetrating oil ( transmission fluid or a purpose marketed product) like mentioned above a few days at minimum, place the engine at your door and every time you go buy give it a few taps with a RUBBER hammer.

When it comes time to try it:

Place the nut back on the crank

get at least one strong friend.

have them hold the fly wheel between thier hands, palms in with the bottom end (skeg) of the OFF the ground and suspended over something soft like your lawn.

now tap gentley on the nut, make sure you are hitting it square. start with the rubber hammer and only in a fit of frustration and after rectifying yourself to the potential of destroying the crank tap it with a piece of wood.

If you get no satisfaction from the above it is possible to get a bit of heat on it with out destroying anything else. Patience and forethought are your friend here.

This is the point where mine popped off. I had used judious heat to free the retaining bolt previous to above.

One thing I did notice is that the bolt that threads into the flywheel to hold it on the crank was super rotten. Only by worshipping the seagul idol was I able to get it out with out a tragedy. I could see that bolt breaking off in there low enough that the rest could be removed while the crank remained locked.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Yes I would agree, except.... and this is important.

As per the instructions on the site ensure piston is a BDC!!!! and a firm clump with a heavy hammer....

But where can I get hold of a 'Seagull Idol' to pray to!

Regards,
john
SOS
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

John:

You do not 'get' seagull idols, they find you......

Reality is I carve foam and restle decoys and needed a Gull for the bow of a scull float, more of a tern then a proper gull but she has not failed me yet, I rub the wrench on it before touching frozen fasteners. Once I find some pink foam in the spring ditches I am definetley making a "seagull" seagull with velcro strap feet to mount on my tank!
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Like the idea of one velcro to my tank!

John
SOS
kenholder

Post by kenholder »

Michael wrote:Ken,
If you have what John says, ie a Mark III or Mark VI ignition, there are no points under the flywheel. You have a CDI ignition. So why are you trying to remove the flywheel? No spark condition, or were you just planning to dress the points, which being CDI , you do not have

I was going to check the points and replace the spark plug HT cable. I have removed the flywheel from the shafty (thanks to the FAQ section)I realized there were no points when I got there. I just have to find a cable here.

Thanks

ken
kenholder

Post by kenholder »

Michael wrote:Ken,

I was going to check the points and replace the spark plug HT cable. I have removed the flywheel from the shafty (thanks to the FAQ section)I realized there were no points when I got there. I just have to find a cable here.

Thanks

ken
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Is your CDI brown or white, only on the white one can you replace the HT lead, don't even try on the brown/ black one or you'll be paying John for an exchange unit.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
kenholder

Post by kenholder »

Charles uk wrote:Is your CDI brown or white, only on the white one can you replace the HT lead, don't even try on the brown/ black one or you'll be paying John for an exchange unit.
I have the white one. Thanks.