Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

croweater

1967 Century Rebuild

Post by croweater »

This is the first of two Century motors I hope to have rebuilt and sorted
by January 2013. Then I plan to do a three day run down the Murray River
to check their reliability and my fitness if all goes well we will do the
Seagull Murray River Marathon later in the year.
I paid $20 for this gem a bargan I hope when I picked it up the it was in a
flour bag some have said I should have left it there. Looks like its nearly all
there the pinion gear is seized and the casing has a lot of corrosion
This Ole Girl was born sometime in July 1967 has spent all of her running
life in Darwin, Northern Territory.

could someone offer a few tips on posting photo's mine are to big to post all
of them.

John
The Tinker

Re: 1967 Century Rebuild

Post by The Tinker »

This is a century 100, you would probably better to find a silver century, century 100s seem to be a little low on power. I have a couple of these engines and use them for parts on some of my other engines. I don't use the barrel or carb. The ignition, exhaust tube, drive shaft, crankcase and gearbox etc all can be used on a silver century.
bychance

Post by bychance »

"could someone offer a few tips on posting photo's mine are to big to post all"

I use paint to resize the image to 30% of the original size, this makes them around 300KB. I have used higher resolution but often the pics end up very big when you click on them.

Reduced:
bobbin head 005 (2).jpg
Original size:
bobbin head 005.jpg
Last edited by bychance on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You can go on to something like Photobucket and post your pictures or video's from there.
Like this.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

croweater wrote:This is the first of two Century motors I hope to have rebuilt and sorted
by January 2013. Then I plan to do a three day run down the Murray River
to check their reliability and my fitness if all goes well we will do the
Seagull Murray River Marathon later in the year.
I paid $20 for this gem a bargan I hope when I picked it up the it was in a
flour bag some have said I should have left it there. Looks like its nearly all
there the pinion gear is seized and the casing has a lot of corrosion
This Ole Girl was born sometime in July 1967 has spent all of her running
life in Darwin, Northern Territory.

could someone offer a few tips on posting photo's mine are to big to post all
of them.

John

Im Planning on doing the murray river run as well" Still dont know on what part of it i will do, But i will be down there. I have a Century Model-100 as well.(62-63) Its a good unit,with good compression and clean bore. But am thinking the same myself. (Should a give it a rebuild before i take it to the murray) That motor you have there would probably need a restoration, For siezed up pinion gears. Thats not a big job to do. The worst part is removing the split pin out from the housing, and then hit out the pinion shaft, Hope you have a very long pair of needle nose pliers. What sought of boat do you have.
croweater

Post by croweater »

The Tinker said "you would probably better to find a silver century, century 100s seem to be a little low on power"
I have read the Silver Century is the best model for racing, I am after a reliable motor that will run all day at 2/3
throttle. Will the Silver Century Barrel fit the Century 100, will keep an eye out for a Silver Century must be a few
around.

bychance & Keith.P Thanks for the tips will try again.

1650bullet said "Im Planning on doing the murray river run as well" Ive told work that I will need about 6 weeks
off late next year, I will join in at Yarrawonga the section from Mildura to Mannum and the last stage to the mouth,
I think will be the most scenic (hope Im wrong). In January I will probably use a David Payne Yellowtail 14' its 3/4 built
in the shed for the seagull run top of my list at present is Ross Lillistone's Fleet, hes still working on the plans it will be
light and easy to build and its designed for the 4hp market. Was not planning to restore either Seagull just get them into
good running reliable condition.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Dismantled the motor the only major worry is that the con rod is tight on the bigend and the two screws
that locate the cap were just over finger tight. Is there a set way to assemble the rod and cap, dont know
why the previous owner dismantled the motor as no new parts have been used.

Next job is to free the pinion shaft & gear and derust the barrel.

John
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

A century 100 will have amples power for your type of boat, and it will have even more reliability to do the murray river. As bad as it looks, It will clean up very easy. My forty plus had all the water jackets blocked up like yours. I took the barrel from the motor and used my pressure cleaner with the pencil nozzle to blast out all the passages. What i should of said is overhaul. Not Restore, Im still thinking to give my century an overhaul b4 i do the murray.

Ps; The lock wires are missing from the big end. That why the conrod bolts would of been finger tight. Lucky it didnt come undone.
croweater

Post by croweater »

A spare motor bought for spares was in terrible condition looks like he spat the dummy and took to
it with a hammer, head barrel, con rod, cases, mag and flywheel all damaged beyond repair.

The gearbox housing on the Century is very corroded been thinking of ways to save it I don't think welding
is possible its paper thin in places. What I'm thinking to do is to fill the holes with metallic cement then
powder coat with a powder primer designed for alloy then paint. Or an expoxy filler may work but could
I bake the paint off, what do you think any other ideas.

John
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

If it is paper thin in places then you may have to do the welding. Welding will do the best bonding and will add material. An epoxy will fill the holes but if the paper thin areas are big, I think it would be easy to be deformed by a hit. By welding material will be added, you will have to rusp it to get it to the desired shape but it will be quite strong.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
croweater

Post by croweater »

Thanks Stelios_Rjk your probably right will take it to a welder tomorrow have a gut feeling its going end up in a scrap bin.

John
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't expect very much from your welder, cast aluminium seems to absorb the gear oil, which causes problems when welding!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

You could get it spray welded. But weigh up your costs. How much to get it spray welded, Or how much to buy another one in good condition from someone. I seen one sell for $60.00 Complete last week on Flea-Bay. If you buy another one it may not be as bad as the one you have now. Its up to you but if it was me, i wouldnt go as far as sand-blasting it. If your going to do the murray river next year it will more than likely cope a few hits here and there from all the trees and stumps that are around the place.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Thought about it over night will look for another casing or motor. I will try to patch this one up its just going to cost time may be a spare.
This casing looked serviceable before I bead blasted it will do it again if there is any visible corrosion. Not planning to hit any trees on the
run, with good river levels snags are less of a headache boats a lot bigger than our dinghies use the river every day without problems.
Wonder where we will be in 12 months hopefully midstream at half throttle. Started to dismantle my second motor looks worn but no
corrosion so far spent all its life on the river. Thanks for the replies.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Have had no luck finding a replacement gearbox casing or a good spares motor what I have done is coat the
inside of the casing with a metallic cement. After a couple of days I then powder coated the casing with a
powder primer that’s used by alloy wheel manufacturers. I’m happy with the result hoping it will hold until
a replacement can be sourced next job is to paint then assemble. Have ordered enough parts from John
(SOS) to service the two motors hopefully I will have another two runners before Xmas.

Could someone give me the tension for the bigend screws?

John