102 Propellers

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Blista

102 Propellers

Post by Blista »

I have recently purchased a 102 (TC84446) which came with a propeller jammed onto the shaft with a broken spring. It has worn a deep groove as shown in the picture. The prop on the right came with the motor.
From reading in the FAQ,s it would seem it is still ok to use with a new spring.
However I had a spare propeller different shape also marked 102.
Are they interchangable, and did 102 models have a variety of props?
( I am new to this forum and Seagull Outboards but have been bitten by the bug, now own three Gulls)
Attachments
IMG_2246.JPG
IMG_2244.JPG
Last edited by Blista on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychance

Re: 102 Propellers

Post by bychance »

Hi Blitsa, I can't see your pics yet, you may have to edit your post and use upload attachment. Use browse, find the pic (I can only ever do 1 at a time) and add file. After 20 seconds or so, a new tab comes up with" place inline". The pic goes wherever the cursor is at the time.

Cheers, Marco
Blista

Post by Blista »

thanks Marco,
Seem to have the pics attached now.
rgds Blista
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hi, nice to see the engine getting back to use, particularly with it's history :D

The original prop is the correct prop, and I would suggest you can reuse it, perhaps after cleaning up the area where the spring locates. The other props I have seen on later 102s with the "sub ejector" exhaust are the 2 bladed bow tie, and a three bladed one.

I think that 4 bladed one could be century prop? Not sure if it will be suitable or not. You do have to be careful with seagull props as the correct prop has to be fitted to match the reduction ratio of the gearbox.

If you fit a prop designed to run at a slower rpm, to a gearbox that runs faster, the engine might not be able to fully rev. You will be baffled as to why the engine won't rev, but in reality the engine is fine, but not capable of driving the prop!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I would be hesitant to use the prop with the amount of groove that has been worn in the internal hub.

Did a search on the main site and it appears that the TC has a three blade clover prop or the 4 square blade.

Third and fourth from the right on the ground.
Attachments
robs british seagull collection!.jpg
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I think the groove can be lightly dressed to remove the groove, there is plenty of metal in the casting in that area.
chris

Post by chris »

whereabouts in qld are you
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The 'bow tie' prop is post war, and didn't stay long. It was a new shape to cope with the lowered exhaust exit, and to my mind is interesting but not terribly good, certainly not as good as its predecessor.

The four blade prop with the square tips - the one you have with 'busted spring syndrome' is right for your motor. I would consider cleaning up the damage and possibly having a bit welded on to restore strength where the spring stub drives it.

There three bladed 'modified cloverleaf' seen on that photo of the collection of 102s is perhaps the most common 102 prop, and the big 13" cloverleaf comes with the 'barge pushers'.
Blista

Post by Blista »

thanks everyone for your help.
I shall get the correct prop built up.
(Chris - we live in Zilzie Central Queensland, best little spot on the Capricorn Coast!)

Blista