leaking cilinderhead

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

albert

leaking cilinderhead

Post by albert »

After renewing my cilinderhead gasket , I have troubles with sealing it. I took a new gasket together with liquid gasket but have still problems with it. There is smoke coming out of the wateroutlet and the engine becomes too hot. Please help......
chris

Post by chris »

Before you replaced the head gasket did you check the water channels in the cylinder, They may be blocked from rust.
If you use to much sealant it could clock up the channels, Also is the water pipe fastened properly to the bottom of the cylinder,
You don't need sealant with the head gasket, they always leak a little bit at first and stop leaking after a couple of hours running.
One question, Why did you replace the head gasket as they are copper and never normally need replacing unless the head is taken off to clean out the water channels even then you can reuse the old head gasket.
One more
Are you running th motor in a drum of water and if the motor has a clutch put it in neutral, if it doesn't have a clutch take the propellor off.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

Albert - a little steam coming out of the water port isnt abnormal inmy experience, especially at low revs - can you be more specific about the overheating please?

Also engine serial number and type is useful for diagnosis
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop
albert

leaking cilinderhead

Post by albert »

Hello, I replaced the head with a new gasket because the old one was damaged after taking away the head. I unfortunately had to take off the head because the wateroutlet was blocked by rust etcetera, and because it was leaking so much.. Now there comes a little bit water together with a lot of smoke out of the wateroutlet at every rev... the more smoke the less water, that is why it becomes hot. I am afraid the surfaces are not flat enough ....My gull is a LLSL2036D6 Century 100. Beautyfull machine with a perfect sound and enough power to push foreward my boat. (20 feet, 2 tons).
chris

Post by chris »

It sounds like the cylinder is cracked.
If it is you might be able to find someone to weld it but usually you have to replace it.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I understand you have got only smoke (steam) from the outlet, but where is the water leaking from exactly?
albert

leaking cylinderhead

Post by albert »

Well, to make the story complete, I again put away the head. I could clearly see, the motor blows air between the head and the cylinder directly into the coolant. Probably, that caused my problems. I am afraid I have to flatten head and or cylinder. Best way is in my opinion, asking a good mechanic...? Other ideas very welcome and thanks so far..
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

When you took the cylinder head off was it corroded at all? Is the metal full of holes?
albert

leaking cylinderhead

Post by albert »

No, it looks clean and nice. The surfaces are in good order.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Hmm! If water is getting past the cylinder head then the gasket may be defective. If the top of the block and the mating surfaces of the head are undamaged and clean (it's important that grit and rust don't get in there) then no water should escape between the two, nor should any gases get past. I have a feeling that a new gasket and another thorough clean of the waterways may do the trick. You may get away with the old gasket if it scrupulously clean and has no cracks or damage to the central bit. Dirt can contaminate a gasket if its laminations separate. Make sure that none of our sealant has got into the waterways.
RickUK

leaking cylinder head

Post by RickUK »

I think your cylinder head joint may be OK - it is virtually impossible for the cylinder gases to get into the water passages.
I'm sure the smoke is actually steam from a small amount of water that is getting into the block and boiling off, giving the impression of exhaust gases. The fact it is blowing out suggests the pump impellor is OK and is trying to push water through the engine.
Leave the head alone for the moment and concentrate on the cooling, going back to basics. If you are testing in tank, take the propellor off or remove the drivespring as has been suggested, avoid turbulence in the tank, which stops water freeely entering the intake slots.
Start the engine and bring up to 50 % throttle. Water will generally take a few seconds to flow. If not (don't allow the cylinder to get too hot) think through the water route. Normally the impellor is OK, so assume it is.
Do you have access to a compressed air supply, where in blowing air into the water dsicharge point, you should be able to feel the air escaping through the intake slots. Check this out and let us know. Rick
albert

leaking cilinderhead

Post by albert »

This weekend I will spend time on it. Nevertheless I never test in a tank, always on the boat. It is only a 10 yards away from my house. Thanks so far.
To be continued.
richardvaltos
Post by richardvaltos »

Bet you it's the water pipe. Had a similar problem myself. Thought just the channels in the head blocked, after usual stripping de-rusting etc, turned out the pipe was blocked and detached from the base of the engine block
erik0905

grease it

Post by erik0905 »

hello.
In my experience, it is a good thing to grease both sides of a casket, it helps it to ( i don't know the word ) in place. Specially on a rough surface. :wink:
think ahead of doing
http://www.baadside.dk/
Erik
albert

leaking cylinderhead

Post by albert »

This weekend I started with the impellor and finished with the head. The impellor is all right as is the delivery pipe to the block. I thoroughly cleaned the surfaces of the head and the block. I reused the head gasket after cleaning that too. I also cleaned the water outlet and so on. When I started the motor, the head is still leaking a bit, but stopped leaking after a 15 minutes or so. The gull sounds as it ever did, before the leakage started. Leaking a bit when the motor is cold, is that a normal thing, or shall I take a new head gasket? Leaking a bit means that very small waterdrops appear between head and block...
I must say: I never use liquid gasket again together with a head gasket! As it is much better now!