PISTON RING,S

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

WULLIE195

PISTON RING,S

Post by WULLIE195 »

HELP NEEDED CAN,T SEEM TO GET PISTON RING,S FREE BOILED THEM FROZE THEM WD-40 THEM AND STILL NOTHING ANY HELP WOULD BE SMASHING :cry:
Oyster 49

Re: PISTON RING,S

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've used oven cleaner to soften up the carbon deposits in the past. Also a long soak (couple of days at least) in penetrating oil of some sort should help. If you can get a very small electricians screwdriver under the end of the ring after soaking for a few days then the ring should slowly prise out. Best of luck.
outboard

Re: PISTON RING,S

Post by outboard »

Wullie, it sounds like the rings are solid so it will take a really good soaking in whatever you fancy, I use petrol/diesel mix. I mean a real good soak, 2 or 3 weeks. I had this problem and when they did start springing out I tried to help them along with a feeler guage (bad idea), with about 1/2" to go one of them snapped. You need to make a decision, have you the patience or do you want to spend a tenner, break them out and buy a pair from John at SOS. The patience thing is good it gives you a buzz if they come out, but it's a right pain in the ar.e if after waiting you end up snapping them.