Aiiiiiiieeemal Help!

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Mutineer

Aiiiiiiieeemal Help!

Post by Mutineer »

#@%%!@%!!!!
I just realized why this Amal 2 Jet carb I'm working on had weird thin leaky paper gaskets on the Bolt that holds the float chamber on.
Why??
Because about 3/16-1/4 inch of the thread on the "mixing chamber body" is stripped!, worn nice and flat!!
So when I use the proper orange fiber washers I ordered from John it won't tighten.
Aside from making up some possibly ineffective gaskets out of some other material so that I can grab a little of the remaining thread, and the other obvious choice of getting a new mixing chamber body, (if possible)
anybody have any good ideas on how to repair/remedy this

I was thinking crying might be a good start.
stripped.jpg
Last edited by Mutineer on Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
Mutineer

Re: Aiiiiiiieeemal Help!

Post by Mutineer »

So with the help of my mechanical engineer father I thought up some solutions and wouldn't mind some opinions
I'm not too keen on putting more money into this engine(like buying BW taps, helicoil etc)
I think I'm up to $270 Can with the latest parts just purchased
Here's my ideas:
1. thin paper washers (The thread does grab when one washer is removed) easiest
2. thin layer of jb weld on old threads, oil on bolt use bolt to retap threads when jb weld is still soft
3. grind/file down 1/16"(very evenly and nicely) bottom of carb body or top of float bowl collar (more radical a solution) or use a lathe to take a bit off the head of the bolt (don't have lathe but my brother does) essentially making it a bit longer (this might affect how it sits in the collar)

Any further ideas, or ideas about my ideas?
If attacked by a group of clowns
Go for the juggler!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Try you local lawnmower shop. They often have lots of old mowers with a variety of carbs lying around. You might be able to pick up a amal with the right body. I always get bits for villiers from mine.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Have you sent a pm to Charles, he's recently posted a thread trying to offload various stuff, you might be lucky. I'm sure he or one of the other top guys might have spares lying around.
phil

Post by phil »

Don't panic, get a parts motor. Failing that I may be able to help. Check your PM
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

if you can find a friendly chap with a lathe simply mill out 2.5 mm off the walls of the carb body . Re cut a 13mm thread on the banjo fitting bolt, machine up a snug but not tight sleve with a 13mm thread on the inside. Use a good quality epoxy to carfully stick in the sleave, avoiding geting any over spill in the jet area (cotton buds work well) after a good drying day your carb is ready for another 50+ years service.

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy62 ... 040140.jpg
festive greatings one and all
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.