Stripping a 40 plus

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

livewire

Stripping a 40 plus

Post by livewire »

Having an incomplete and siezed 40 plus i took the advice and stuck oil down it's bore. I filled it with penetrating oil and stuck the plug in.

Then the other day i stripped the outboard removing the bottom end of the engine. So 5 minutes later,

After a few days in the oil i drained the bore and there was a degree of metal (Non ferrous) that came out. I'm suspecting it was from a helicoil insert that it has for the spark plug. Anyway i gave it a wack with a wooden dowel and nothing. So i put fresh oil in and put the plug back, i then read about applying heat to expand the oil and push it's way into the piston rings. I put a hot air gun on it for 5minutes and let it cool and tried that, nothing. I then further read about sticking it in the freezer. Then...

So i can reccomend the freezer appoach, it came out quite easily. And the following photos show what i've got, what would you now do? I need to clean the piston and free the rings. Do i need new rings? I also need to clean the piston bore as there is some corrosion.

Andy
Collector Inspector

Re: Stripping a 40 plus

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yr having FUN Andy!

When the rings are off and you lightly score the bore...........0.004" gap?

Reckon that will be that or less.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
outboard

Post by outboard »

Well done so far Andy. I got a bit of advice when I was doing the exact same thing as yourself. Find a Machine Mart and buy a three legged glaze breaker, ideal for honing the bore. Lots of elbow grease for the other stuff, plus soaking the piston in petrol/diesel to loosen the rings. You may be lucky and get the rings loose in one piece, but John at SOS has them in stock. Patience is your biggest friend.

Good luck
Gerard
livewire

Post by livewire »

Ah patience is not something i have an abundance of.

But i do have finesse.

Anyway i did get one ring off but the other broke.

So i ordered new rings, bottom end gasket, throttle cable, HT lead and i treated myself to a service manual. All from John

Now i'm consentrating my efforts on my forty minus, i'll get that together and post a report on that engine with photos.

Thanks to John for a 1st class service.

Andy