Exhaust tube removal

Having problems with a Seagull? - ask an expert here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

PeterW
Exhaust tube removal

Post by PeterW »

Hi all

I've picked up a new project which appears to be a Forty minus based on the SJM engine code.

I've started the ubiquitous strip down, after managing to get a decent spark (the drill trick..!) and confirmning everything still moves as it should.

One of the biggest issues I can see is removing the exhaust and drive tubes - whats the 'agreed' process, as I can see the pinchbolt on the gearbox at the bottom of the driveshaft and once I have cut this off, does the gearbox pull free from the main shaft..? I can see a small screw holding the exhaust which I figure when its removed, the exhaust should slide free..?

Or am I missing something...?? :?

Cheers

Peter
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

Please pause! Sorry, I'm a little short on time to post a full answer but I'm sure somebody, maybe Charles P or UK will be along shortly......

There is no need to remove the pinch bolt, and certainly not cut it (!) to split the power head off and remove the exhaust tube.....

Think it might be useful to understand why you want to remove the exhaust too...?

Peter
Vic

Post by Vic »

Yes the Service sheets show that to separate the power head from transmission you unbolt the drive shaft tube from the block and then lift the power head off complete with silencer.

(you'll need one of the special spanners to unbolt the drive shaft tube though!)
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Can't really add anything to what has been said. Cutting the clench bolt seems like a bad idea.

I suspect that 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' could well have been coined with Seagulls in mind...
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

charlesp wrote:Can't really add anything to what has been said. Cutting the clench bolt seems like a bad idea.

I suspect that 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' could well have been coined with Seagulls in mind...
Rapid responses..!!!

The clench bolt is rusted solid - it can only be cut off so its to do with renewing it, and possibly the drive tube.

I'd like the exhaust off to either clean it up or replace - I have a decent source of Stainless tubing, so one or both may be replaced.

Where is the best place to obtain the service sheets..?? Is it something John can supply..??

Cheers

Peter
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I'm sure John can supply a workshop manual.

He can most probably supply a replacement exhaust tube, either chromed brass or aluminium; and a drive shaft tube as well. Oh and a bolt too.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

Unless somebody has "repaired" here before and had to drill through both lugs to fit a nut and clench bolt after shearing the original bolt I'm puzzled. If it is the original bolt then cutting the bolt head off or cutting between the lugs does nothing to remove the threaded length of bolt remaining in the port lug....Either way personally I'd be reaching for a decent propane torch, WD40 and a decent fitting socket before the hacksaw.

Seagulls are renowned for having seized and rusted fasteners ... that's a given part of the challenge with these old girls!

If, on the subject of stainless replacements, you mean to replace the drive shaft casing tube with a stainless version there is the difficult question of how to sort out the casting brazed to end....

Peter
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

Thanks Peter

I'm used to dealing with old Landrovers so the heat/WD40/7lb hammer routine is well versed !!

The clench bolt has resisted duck oil and a serious heating with a MAPP torch, and liberal abuse with an air impact wrench, so a hacksaw is the last resort !

I've yet to break one of these lovely engines down properly, so information such as yours relating to the brazed top to the drive tube is invaluable ! Are these available as spares, or does everyone live with them rusting...!!??

Cheers

Peter
phil

Post by phil »

The easy way is strip the rust and paint, usually ali or black they both look ok. Expensive way is to rechrome. Some do adapt stainless tubes. I have thought of using stainless exhaust as well, but a recent experience still not resolved dealing with a brass exhaust has me thinking of sticking with ali. mainly because the ones with ali exhaust tubes come apart so much more easily, at least in my experience.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Peter where do you want to end up, after all your efforts?
John@sos

???

Post by John@sos »

Peter, if you have not already got one I suggest the Workshop Manual will be a good investment. if nothing else it prevents people making a few expensive mistakes. cost? £10.50 plus P&P.

Give me a call or a mail.

Regards,
John
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

Just a quick note about service..!

I spoke to John on Tuesday night about a manual and a few other things, ordered it Wednesday and it arrived on my desk (according to SWMBO) on Thursday morning !

How good is that..?? John - there are a few suppliers who should take a leaf out of your book !

Thanks again

Peter