Restored? read the ad for more....

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Restored? read the ad for more....

Post by headdownarseup »

I think you know my feelings on this sort of thing by now.
Pictures will tell you all you need to know.
It's nice enough, but there are others out there that present themselves much better.

Not my cup of tea even though i'm a 102 guy all the way.
I think this one might be around for a while before it finds a new home.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Seagu ... 0005.m1851

Jon
Collector Inspector

Re: Restored? read the ad for more....

Post by Collector Inspector »

Well to be honest Jon this guy has put a lot of time into it (Stated Ebay) and seems pretty proud of the achievement offered.

If someone wants to make offers or purchase based on obviously what it actually is...........let them with feeling good about it.

Sometimes even you can be a "CHARLES" which is classic by the way, I.M.N.H. in that.

Basically what floats a boat aye.

BnC

PS: IMNH I mean no harm.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

I come in peace :lol: each to there own :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

I personally prefer the 'barn find original' look but everyone has there own preferences.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

What i was trying to say with this one is that it's not strictly correct in many ways.
The tank decal for example should really belong on a much older motor, although i like these flying seagull ones myself.
The drive tube.....hmm paint is one thing (you can spot that from 50 paces), but chrome is better.
Then there's the gearbox, which going by the serial number alone will tell you this is not entirely right for the motor.I know i know, we've seen this sort of thing many times before but you cannot say that this seagull is in original condition any more. What you have to ask yourself is would this gull have left the factory looking like this, and the answer is probably no it wouldn't. Do you see where i'm coming from?

Yes, the guy has obviously spent a lot of time and money on this old gull there's no disputing that, but i see it as more of his interpretation of a restoration. As everyone keeps saying each to their own, and this is quite clearly his own take on things. I'd give it 7 out of 10, it's good but is it good enough in someone else's eyes?

Just like Jacob, i have a bit of a fondness for the "barn found" condition, missing chrome and paint, dings and dents everywhere, but above everything else it must be complete with all the right bits on it, and an added bonus if it still runs that's better still.
On the flip side there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing a proper restoration as long as the motor presents itself as though it had just left the factory from where it was made, and this is perhaps what sorts out the chaff from the wheat when it comes to a restoration.

I'm just fussy that's all.
Proper queens english here
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/restorer

Jon
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

That would be "Proper Queen's English"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Aaah.... The mysticle "Barn Find" they do come up every now and again, this one was literally found in a falling down barn a couple of years back.... totally unloved but luckily not seized.
Attachments
IMG_1086.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes a real find 8)
Piglola123

Post by Piglola123 »

I hope he/she got a point for not taking the easy eBay breakers option selling as parts they would make more money ,I like the ads on there selling parts from good running engines !!! If this is 75% restoration job I wonder what reason for missing part was lack of information.effort ,parts etc or was it too expensive to complete as original I am sure if there was profit to be made in restoring engines for sale there would be web sites full of them ,even at 75% he is (saving old seagulls) doing his/her part .
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

What I seem to see more of, is a restoration that is of a good standard, but, on the cheap, non original decals and chrome work, I.E. painted drive tubes.
Later motors are much easier to do, as most parts are painted anyway and usually plentiful, so painting what should be chrome is just a cheap option and something the next owner will have to fix, but it not being sold as such, the price is trying to say its a fully restored motor when its not.
If you bought parts to make the motor, it would be cheaper than the asking price and remember a parted out motor will get more the one motor running again, so it's not always a bad thing, as most of us wouldn't have early running motor in our collection, if it wasn't for parts, most of the parts are not available from Seagull any more.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Without sending out the wrong vibes about this,what we see more and more of these days are certainly what could be called acceptable, but not necessarily historically or aesthetically correct. Like i was trying to say from the start,and like Keith has just mentioned there's some "cheaper" ways to achieve the same results.
In some people's eyes these things are dead easy to spot, and to a prospective and serious collector of older seagulls (not me by the way) these "cheap fixes" often take longer to un-do and put right. This so called "standard" of restoration varies between one person and the next, and as a result some engines will present themselves better than others. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or put another way each to their own.

Rene's pics are just the sort of thing i like to see in "barn found" condition. Clearly most, if not all of it is there, just untouched for many years.Warts and all...and nothing hidden. It doesn't get any more honest than that.

The real skills come down to the individual doing the restoration and to what lengths they're willing to go to in order to achieve the right level or "standard" in their workmanship. (remember the 6 p's)
Doing the job right the first time goes a long way in my book. Paint where paint was before, chrome where chrome was before. Don't cut corners for the sake of cheapness or quickness.

Maybe i'm just old fashioned, but having a critical eye over something like this will get noticed sooner or later.

Fully restored should mean exactly that, nothing out of place anywhere,nothing that would give reason to doubt anything,head and shoulders above all the rest,and when such a restored engine shows itself in the future i'm sure the price will be reflected accordingly.

Why then do the likes of ebay allow things like this to be advertised (sometimes wrongly) as refurbished or restored?

When all's said and done, i still kind of like this 102 in a strange way even if it's not quite right but as you know by now i'm just fussy.