Assorted bits

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

fleetingcontact
Assorted bits

Post by fleetingcontact »

I have a few things that have to go due to lack of space.

Silver Century Plus 4:1 reduction gearbox and prop in very good condition. There are a few cosmetic issues - mainly some scratches on the front end cap. Paint aside, the condition is excellent. Clutch fork also included.

Alloy Century mounting bracket body ONLY - no C-clamps or support lug. Lower tube support is present.

Featherweight gearbox - complete (pinion, Crown wheel and shaft, front end cap, waterpump housing). However the pinion gear is siezed. This was taken fron a engine quite literally found on a pile of trash left out for the bin man. My bet is that the former owner assumed the engine was siezed. It wasn't.

102 fixed drive gearbox, ok condition and free-moving.

Two mk1 generators. No idea if they work or not. Flywheels as well of course, but if you want them bear in mind it's going to amp-up the postage something horrible.

The only item I'm looking for some real money for is the first. Offers if you are interested please. The rest can be had for a token payment plus postage.
Nudge

Re: Assorted bits

Post by Nudge »

It may pay to tell us where you are in the world! after all it is quite a large place.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
fleetingcontact

North Kent.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

We have a Shire of Kent in WA and Kent town in SA (Australia) I presume you are in UK. :lol:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

I'd be interested in the featherweight gearbox. If you could pm me with asking price plus approx. postage to 3195 Melbourne Australia, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Spiro if you get this featherweight gearbox, it would be very educational if you could take & post pictures of your entire disassembly & rebuild process.
Along with the costs of the replacement parts needed, it might well encourage the readers to take better care of their Featherweight lower units & check the oil every time they use them & put them away!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

If anyone else is interested in the featherweight gearbox, please don't hesitate to reach out to member fleetingcontact.

Unfortunately it's not right for my application. Sincere apologies to fleetingcontact and anyone that may have been discouraged from reaching out as a result of my previous post.

Regards
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Mk 1 generators (presumably stator plates) or ignition systems to us mere mortals. Are they what we call "flat top" with no rim around the bottom of the baseplate?

I might be interested if they're what i think they might be :P Do they still work?

I have a mate close(ish) to you who could pick up no problem.
Got any pics of what you need to get rid of, it would make things a bit easier to identify :P

Jon
fleetingcontact

Sorry for the late reply, been AFK for a bit...

Do they work? Please refer to the original post.

Are they rare? I believe they are fairly common. One came from a dead SJP, one from a decent 102 I bought nice and cheap. Don't get excited... the SJP dated from the late 50s, the 102 a similar vintage - engine code is TC, I believe. And as soon as I can seperate the bludy thing fom the wreck of another scrap SJP I recently bought for a very modest price there will be three of them I don't want.

Pics? Well, due to technical issues that's a problem right now. But Solent Seagulls is currently asking a cheeky £20.00 for an identical one, although I believe he says his works.

Don't get upset about the 102 please. I had some ideas about mixing old with new a while back but as Hugz pointed out, there is a incompatibility problem with my evil plans that I can't live with, so I shall instead make it the shiniest 102 in existence that has a mk2 generator ignition whatever which if I can manage it will be disguised as a mk1.

I don't want these damn things, I just can't bring myself to chuck them in the bin (they're not making any more of them after all) so why don't you send your mate over anyway because if they hang around too long the bin is where they will go. I have very limited space and I am currently getting rid of everything I see as unwanted. There will be more items to follow I am sure.

Martin

p.s

"...Are they what we call "flat top..."

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are surrounded by rampaging Indians intent on violence. The Lone Ranger turns to Tonto and says "Well old Kemo Savee, looks like we've had it this time..." Tonto replies "What you mean 'we', white man?"
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

mk2 generator ignition

Nothing in the Seagull parts book fits this description.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

There are 5 types of magnetos. JM or coolie hat. Mk1 villiers coiled (flat top). Mk2 wipac coiled. Mk3 wipac CDI. MK4 wipac CDI.

There is also a generator kit that fits the mk3 and mk4 that produces 13.5 volts or so to charge a battery.

Incidentally a black plastic sheave fron a Mk2 will fit onto a Mk1.
fleetingcontact

Hi Hugz

That filled in some blanks - thanks again.

Issa flat top deffo.

I'm mostly focussed on mk 4s...but this would look crappy on a 102 if the rest of it was pretty much standard, I think. Did Seagull ever fit a mk4 to a 102 anyone? I would guess not.

But I wonder would a mk1 top and pulley assembly fit (or be made to fit) a mk2 thus providing a more authentic look (not to anyone on this forum :P) whilst at the same time using a ignition type that you might feel is dependable? After all, there may come a moment when dependability is more than just a desire...

The flat-top disc sits ok on the mk 2 flywheel (a little carefull fettling may be required) but I haven't looked too hard at the rest of it yet if I'm honest.

And having considered for a while I think that while it might be possible to make a FNR gearbox connect to a 102 motor AND!!!! make it work, it probably wouldn't work for long - it would surely put too much stress on either the motor or the gearbox or both to have a driveshaft out of true. It may work better on a longshaft engine, but mine is a standard item. Shame - it would have been a thing of beauty...do you know how successful your mate found it?

Martin
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

You will need to trim the black plastic sheave about 1 mm to fit Mk1.

My 102 ED has CDI wipac ignition. Haven't a clue whether it is MK3 or Mk4.
hugo's ed 102.jpg
fleetingcontact

Hugz,

that's a mk3 I believe. Is it standard?

No no no, I was thinking of a mk2 made to look like (even perhaps only at a passing glance) a mk1.

Martin.
fleetingcontact

Ok I see the FNR bracket.