SD 102

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: SD 102

Post by Charles uk »

Jacob
Give it a run for 30 seconds in gear & not in the test tank a couple or 3 times & stop it before it gets hot.

Now check to see if any gear oil is leaking from the prop shaft bush, SAE 140 is a little bit thin for a grease nipple gearbox, which were designed to use Castrol K70 which I'm told was about 420 grade, I use SAE 460 in these boxes as their now pensioners with many worn bearings.

Ring your local agricultural oil merchant to see if they can suggest where you can find some, it will pump through an oil can into a removed grease nipple hole, & won't leave a giant oil slick on the floor.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

It has been sat on the rack for the past 2 months and hasn't leaked a drop, it has also been 10 hours since it last ran and hasn't leaked at all so i would say its good.

Jacob
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

What's in the gearbox?
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Dunno, it was full with quite clean oil when i got it!
I figured it would be ok for just testing.

Jacob
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

seagull101 wrote:Got it running today! started 4th pull!
https://youtu.be/Z7w3uzhm1ts
Marvelous!! Just love the old SD's. The later "L" series SD (provisionally) have the bird logo whereas the "P" series have the plain tanks. As soon as I get Jon's data and marry mine and his, we can get a more complete picture and publish the results. Need to keep the momentum turning.

Any SD owners that hasn't furnished their data and wish to be on the register please pm me your email addy..... great stuff.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Hugo Sorry lost track of your quest, what with holidays & sunshine & stuff.
I'll give him a ring tonight to find out where we are.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

That would be great Charles and also would be good if we can have the data that was forwarded to Jon when Adrian (Oyster) transferred over the registry.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Called Jon tonight, Hugo, he's going to get all the SD data together over the next couple of days & get it off to you, good things come to those that wait.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yes, sorry Hugo.
I've been rather busy coaxing something rather fragile and delicate quite recently. wink
I've just come back from spending the weekend with A-J and his partner Allegra, along with their long time friends . Quite an emotional reunion in more ways than one.

Stay tuned as i've got something a bit special to show you all, as and when i can figure out how to download from one source to another.
Worth waiting for i think 8)

A-J says hello by the way. :P He had a fall at home the other day which knocked the wind out of his sails for a bit. He's a bit bruised but he's a tough old thing. I'm going back for another visit later next month for a couple of days with my boys to help finish a few things off.
He would type himself, but he has a lot of difficulty these days with his left side. Still early days with his overall recovery from the stroke, but he's doing alright.

I'll send you a pm i think Hugo and go through a couple of things first if that's ok.

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

So you have a new motor then, well new to you anyway, I think pretty much every body knows what it is. :oops:
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Wrong again :lol: :lol:

It's still with the other fella for now waiting for me to get back to it. Still a bit left to do on it before the official "hand over". All good though, and definitely taking my time with it now i know a bit more about it :P

But it will be with me fairly soon.

Now to figure out the eccentricities of facebook for that video!

Keith i'll pm you as i need to ask something away from eyes and ears on here. :P

Jon
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Ok :shock:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hi Jacob,

Your motors twin rolled up on the registry today. Same green paint on mag and tank straps. Only #300 away from yours. Originally found in Northern Ireland.
SD Denmark.PNG
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

That look like it really is my ones twin! I always had a feeling that some of the SD's had green paint on the flywheel and tanks straps.
The crated one also had green tank straps and it is #625 earlier than mine!

Thanks for sharing!

Jacob
Attachments
NEW SD #9963
NEW SD #9963
MY SD #10588
MY SD #10588
my sd 4.JPG (18.74 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

A few years ago we had a debate on here regarding SD decals. One theory was that the ministry would not waste money on decals on a cheap and cheerful working outboard for the military to use on small pontoon etc. These two engines certainly disprove that. Look very original.