Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Hugz

Re: In case anyone's interested

Post by Hugz »

Fascinating. An early 1945 SD? In a box stenciled May 1964 and then reinspected 1969. Box looks correct with rope handles for army WW11. Went through an army stores inventory in 1964 and re-stenciled? Interesting it comes with height adjustor and the top mount pivot bolted to motor. Answers a few questions about the side mount too. Most impressive find that has surfaced in my seagull time.

Edit: Here is a comparison crate from SOS site:
british seagull crate 1.jpg
The one on ebay:
ebay crate.JPG
Also the word "gasolene", I could stand corrected here, but isn't that more americanese than English? There is a mystery here.

Clutch lever with Patent on it is correct for late SD's I believe.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Comparison of side mount.

Ebay:
Side Mount ebay.JPG
Other:
HE side mount.JPG
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Pretty well cool aye!

I think that it was "due for re-inspection" again in 69........that never happened as stenciling not updated.

I wonder what surface freight would be.........probably cheaper than you would think actually.........maybe 3 months but things get here.

Seller would have a clue.......someone just needs to ask.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That looks very impressive but I'd need to touch it to say a 100%, yes or no.

I'm sure we would know him if some body was capable & had the knowledge to recreate this.

Can one of us go & look at this & get a survey quality set of pics, this could be important!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Charles Wrote;

"I'm sure we would know him if some body was capable & had the knowledge to recreate this"

BnC
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Collector Inspector wrote:Charles Wrote;

"I'm sure we would know him if some body was capable & had the knowledge to recreate this"

BnC
Any of these parts can be recreated... It just comes down to the amount of effort one wants to put into it!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Collector Inspector

I am absolutely astounded.............this is somewhat really out there that such comments by detractors and haters gets into the general conversation about whether something on EBay is, as an Item, something to discuss what is under the "Wraps" so to speak. This is NOT a general run of the mill Seagull as per the presentation.....looking cool to me and others buy the way

ESPECIALLY when something presented as somewhat unique? Ahhhhh.........it is unique so passion and the Dark Side comes out in the written word.

Cello and I do not agree that this post is progressing in a logical and friendly/informative way at all at all..........

Ship Cat and I would like to see some sensible discussion by those that may have "XRay Eyes".......what is under the wraps etc.

Hugo has the Idea and well done Him!

No Further Comment From Me.

OR The Cat

BnC
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I agree anyone could recreate these parts, but having the knowledge to do it this right, would be very very unusual!

Cost up making that transom bracket & it's associated bronze bits, bearing in mind it must be gas welded, estimate your time @ £10, A$20 per hour, scary isn't it even as a guesstimate!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Looking closely at the pictures it seems genuine to me, certainly all the details seem correct. Gearbox, tiller, mag, tank with a decal too. Even a bronze clutch lever as well. Wonder if the carb is brass? It would be nice to see the coating on the drive tube, wonder if it is the original zinc?

So yes an interesting engine, not worth going mad over though, noting the last ones went for less than £100. The original mount and box is the icing on the cake though, both are quite rare.

However I think prudence is the key here. Worth a closer look I suspect.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Anyone going in that direction that could do a photo survey before the auction ends?

It's not something I'd covet, I have too many ornaments now, if it's the real deal, it's probably unique, a boxed SD still in it's packing grease with tool kit, has anyone asked if there are any instructions in the box?

Even the sticky tape seems period.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've often wondered where the boxes where made. Noting the army had all sorts of crated equipment, but the photos I have seen suggest they were army boxes. I wonder if they were made in the central receiving store. I doubt we will ever know.

We know the engines were carried by bridging teams and used by the sappers. Not a lot else is known, other than some parts books and I think Charles P has an instruction manual.

There is video of an SD in use by the army in the North Germany floods in the early 60s but we are still searching for that elusive picture of an engine in use during wartime. I am planning to go down to the imperial war museum at some point to search their photo archive. Not got around to it yet. Apparently the archive is growing all the time as more photos are donated.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Charles P spent 2 or 3 days there & found nothing, the same with the REME archives.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I won't be bidding either. I just hope it goes to a good home, and not split and sold seperately by some eBay captain cash in. The whole package is what makes it an interesting item.