Petrol tank

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

RickUK

Petrol tank

Post by RickUK »

Not sure what age of 102 this is off - AC or AD maybe? but a brass tank in good condition, with a bayonet fitting for the fuel cap, offset to one side.
The tank has a cap which I think is incorrect - just a flat cap with a vent hole, as fitted to some motorcycles. The fuel tap is a 90 degree turn 'knighted' type with a 1/8"BSP thread.
Bruising on the tank is confined to the areas which get cinched up to the mounting brackets by the straps. Rick.
PS. unlikely to be online over Easter.
headdownarseup

Re: Petrol tank

Post by headdownarseup »

Must be quite an early AC or AD , maybe even D or C.
Any pics so we can have a look?

Jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I'm after one of these tanks for a D. Wonder if posting is a problem?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I might be able to help there Hugo, plus I will be passing by Rick's place next weekend..
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Oh I say, Jolly good. 8)
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

What number is your D Hugz and what model # and date is the mag. I am just wondering if the D's and AD's were in production at the same time. SOS records have the D production finished by 1947 and I always through that the D predated the AD but now I am not sure.

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm of the opinion (at the moment any way) that D and C models were made alongside AD and AC's. WHY i dont know!

How else could you explain my own D9666
A 9000 serial number would put this motor as being made in 1949??? and not 46/7.
Very strange some of this, but i see it in the data.

On the other hand my C1655l has an earlier serial number which puts it as being made in 47, which seems to fit with a lot of other comments made previously about these.

Jon
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Jon are there any key differences between the D and AD also C and AC???

AJ
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The other question of course, is why were the AD and AC serial numbers introduced?
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

As far as i can tell there is no difference between a D and an AD, or a C and an AC. both sets of motors the same, they seem to follow the same build spec as the production continues through the years. (hence my reasoning for D and C models being made alongside AD's and AC's)
One quite important thing to remember is that the very early post war years (46 going into 47) i reckon BS were still trying to use up the wartime spares and perhaps this is why some (not all) D's and C's appear to follow an earlier build spec very similar (if not identical to) the wartime motors. Steel and sometimes brass bayonet tanks and caps are showing up on data, the occasional skeletal bracket although many have been replaced with something more sturdy by now, and a few other oddities besides.

All things being right (or not) build spec i.e tanks/caps, carbs, powerheads, lower units and props etc. all seem to be the same.
Once the numbers start getting into the 8-9000's (roughly) there are a couple of minor changes to the blocks (slotted core plug) and the lower unit starts to change (sub-ejector pump housing, bow tie prop takes over from SD swept back, and starting to lose the oil nipples in the gearbox) Small diameter rope pulley seems to change somewhere around here being replaced by the conventional sized rope pulley. Mag covers are still blank at this point. Tanks seem to be predominantly brass by now with a screw top cap.

After this time period (49 ish onwards) the spec settles down into more what we're used to. (sub- ejector pump housing, bow tie prop, bronze and alloy transom mounts,hollow clamps, etc etc.)

There is still far too many gaps in my data at the moment, but slowly slowly i'm getting there.
I just need more data that's all, especially for the earlier stuff.

Jon