Free Seagull Parts

Place your for sale information here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

doughtya
Free Seagull Parts

Post by doughtya »

Just bought some stuff off this website www.seagullspares.co.uk and notice as an introduction he was giving free parts away. This week it is pull cords and I think next week it might be free oil!
charlesp

Re: Free Seagull Parts

Post by charlesp »

Do please share with us just how you manage to do business with the guy..

I assume you're still buying parts for your husband, a scenario that has me raising an eyebrow with - to be honest - a mixture of disbelief and horror. I can just imagine - just - a conversation between a Seagull Parts trader and my recently snared child bride - and frankly it just doesn't work at all. lol.

If that is indeed the case just how do you get a reply from him ????

I have tried twice and failed.

Free pull cords. Hmm. May not impress those on this forum. Oh puleeeaase!

Still, I wish you well.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Phew what a prize, a free pull cord. Sorry for being synical but once I read Charles' post I simply had to have a look at what this site offered. Within a few seconds I see he's asking £13.99 for 500ml of EP140. I paid £12 for 5 litres. I know it's not always easily available but that's him making £126 on this alone, not a bad mark up.
Yep, I'd give him a wide berth.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

charlesp wrote: If that is indeed the case just how do you get a reply from him ????

I have tried twice and failed.

Well I am always a little wary of doing business with anybody on the web who wants my credit card details but doesn't put a registered company name, t/a name or even a proprietor's name, bricks and mortar physical address, email address or landline telephone number up on the website...... actually I wouldn't do it!

Ask your card issuer if they condone you giving your card details out for purchases in such circumstances........... and will they write off any mishaps if your card gets hosed/striped? I can hear them laughing from here!

Well I've done a little bit of digging; no more than any body else who might have been sat here reading this. Surprise, surprise there is no registered company entity at Companies House with the name Seagull Spares, company, ltd or anything else that they would legally register. There's Seagull Supplies Ltd and a few other hopefuls but I don't think they are are linked to this.

However if you turn to Nominet, at http://www.nic.uk/ , who are the registry for all .uk names, and do a Whois lookup search on seagullspares.co.uk (top right of the page the link brings up) you will find that this domain was registered to a named chap on the 2 July 2010 with an address in Kidlington, Oxfordshire , England. Whether the name and address listed there or his marital status implied here are correct I do not know, but I find it very curious that somebody trading on the net and possibly indirectly promoting themselves here on this forum chooses to cloak themselves behind a totally anonymous website. Others might find it unacceptable.

Don't get me wrong. I have no problem whatsoever with a capitalist system where you post your price and see if anyone pays your asking price. If somebody is lazy or so short of time that they will pay the first price they find, even if it is ridiculously inflated, then good luck to the seller. If they can make 150 quid on a can of SAE140 then that is fine by me; that is down to his conscience but don't whinge at their prices; only the sales puff they put up to sell the stuff if it is dubious or down right misleading !

Peter

ps Nominet eventually get very very agitated and emotional with a domain registrant who does not maintain correct details (name, address etc) on their "Whois " entry..............eventually they WILL de-register the domain! Particularly if somebody challenges it................
livewire

Post by livewire »

I was very cynical over the first post, now a second post plugging the extortionately priced website.

No comment.
outboard

Post by outboard »

I can't believe I'm reading someone saying he doesn't mind a guy making £150 out of a can of oil, in my books these guys are bad. Making a profit is one thing but ripping people off is another. It says a lot about people. I'd steer clear of him and his likes.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I thought you were a dentist....... :D :D

Only joking.
daveyorks

Post by daveyorks »

the ploys they use to snare punters,one old chestnut is,it was a spare engine with a boat and i havnt had time to test it,yeah yeah yeah