dinghy floor

Post your wanted adds here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Alfabud
dinghy floor

Post by Alfabud »

my dinghy has got 5 slats,but I was gonna buy plywood and cut it to size and make a solid floor..is this feasible..just want something that is a fairly solid floor.
you live and learn, then you die and forget it all.
Hugz

Re: dinghy floor

Post by Hugz »

Does it need to flex? Maybe you need a RIB.
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

Hugz wrote:Does it need to flex? Maybe you need a RIB.
last time I went to my doctor he never mentioned it :shock:
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

Yep its perfectly feasable, in boaty terms it would be called a 'sole'. My Wayfarer has one, as do a lot of (older) boats. But the so-called 'marine-ply you find down the average timber-yard isn't worth a damn on a boat. Is it a nice boat?
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

well its only a 2/3 man dinghy u say a sole where do u get it
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

fleetingcontact wrote:Yep its perfectly feasable, in boaty terms it would be called a 'sole'. My Wayfarer has one, as do a lot of (older) boats. But the so-called 'marine-ply you find down the average timber-yard isn't worth a damn on a boat. Is it a nice boat?
looked on ebay but all I get is shoe soles
fleetingcontact

Is it a nice boat or a knockabout of limited value? And what sort of boat is it? Eg dinghy, rib, etc.
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

its only a waveco dinghy I use as a tender
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

The first time I saw this in action, an old friend of mine had the same idea for his Inflatable. After 'sea trials' :lol: he found it rather unyielding, so had an idea. He took the piece of Marine Ply back out, sawed five times across it, then glued old Inner Tube between the gaps. When he replaced it, he found it to be rigid enough, but still had a certain amount of 'flex' when crossing wakes and the like. Worth thinking about, I suppose.....
fleetingcontact

Interesting idea, like it for a rib. The boat in question is probably not highly valued though, not if it is similar to other people's tenders I have seen.

So...

Make cardboard templates and cut the ply with a jigsaw, worth getting the right blade, the wrong one will result in lots of splinters.

Marine ply for the material as found in average timber merchant treated (perhaps) with the cheap kind of primer found in the local diy store, preferably oil-based (getting less common but still available). I'd go for 3 coats, diluting the first with white spirit a lot, the a second 50-50, then neat. It would last for a bit. Paint the edges well.

But the biggest issue would be supports. It likely doesn't have anything built into the boat to accomodate. If you put weight on them and they connect with the skin of the boat, why bother? Also it would be nice to have a method of fixing them down in the event of a capsize or the thing is otherwise swamped.

The older Wayfarers use a simple turnbuckle but I knew one guy who just screwed them down with self-tappers...but his boat was / is a worthless shed.
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

was looking at camping mats today...meh...think al give up that idea...they do make floors for sale on the web,but a £200 floor,for a£400 dinghy, I think not.
Alfabud

Post by Alfabud »

fleetingcontact wrote:Interesting idea, like it for a rib. The boat in question is probably not highly valued though, not if it is similar to other people's tenders I have seen.

So...

Make cardboard templates and cut the ply with a jigsaw, worth getting the right blade, the wrong one will result in lots of splinters.

Marine ply for the material as found in average timber merchant treated (perhaps) with the cheap kind of primer found in the local diy store, preferably oil-based (getting less common but still available). I'd go for 3 coats, diluting the first with white spirit a lot, the a second 50-50, then neat. It would last for a bit. Paint the edges well.

But the biggest issue would be supports. It likely doesn't have anything built into the boat to accomodate. If you put weight on them and they connect with the skin of the boat, why bother? Also it would be nice to have a method of fixing them down in the event of a capsize or the thing is otherwise swamped.

The older Wayfarers use a simple turnbuckle but I knew one guy who just screwed them down with self-tappers...but his boat was / is a worthless shed.
To much work for me :P :P
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I would be worried about chaffing with all the movement.

Just wear snow shoes :lol: