Brass Tank end removal.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

Brass Tank end removal.

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

As a new member to this forum I was rather puzzled about the problems, that many people around the world are having getting the ends off brass tanks.
I could not see that it would be hard to get them off, and as I thought with a bit of heat from the Propane torch off it popped.

What you need to do is mount the tank vertically (having degassed tank, get this bit wrong and you may create a good bang) and apply heat to the bottom end. This will let all of the end heat up at the same time.
When you see a thin line of molten solder around the joint, apply a little bit of downwards pressure at the joint to the end cap using a screwdriver.
If you have all of the end hot enough, it will just fall off.
I had a bucket of water underneath to quench and anneal the end cap.

The whole process took only a few minutes, have removed all of dents and it is now ready to silver solder back together again.

Can post a picture of tank in bits if people want to see it.

Thanks

H-A

OK

Last edited by Horsley-Anarak on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niander

Post by niander »

ok do it:)
phil

tank end removal

Post by phil »

Mr. H-A, What percentage of the tanks you have removed ends from have come off this easily? Would it be as high as 90-100% of 1 tank, 10 tanks, or possibly even 50 tanks, I'm certain we are all quite interested to know.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

When I have taken 50 tanks apart I will let you know my success rate for that number. (Have taken apart many hundreds of soft solder joints, same process just less heat. You get the same thin molten line around the joint when it is hot enough).

I will video the removal of the other end of the tank that I am working on at the moment. This will show you the method that I have found to work.

I will also be getting a sample of the solder tested to see what it is.

I have been using Silver Solder as an engineer joining brass and other non ferros materials for the last 35 years. If you get it to cherry red it will come apart it is not magic.

The next thing that I will be doing, is to cast press tools from a good end this will let me press any dents out, a lot quicker than panel beating.

Thanks H-A

P.S. we don't put butter on the cats round here, it is bad enough trying to stop the the dogs eating them already! :lol:
Last edited by Horsley-Anarak on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
niander

Post by niander »

Does a normal blow torch get it hot enough?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Propane is a readily available gas, you dont need oxy, propane is fine on its own. It can give temps of 1990 degrees C.

As long as you have a large enough burner you will produce plenty of heat.

If you are trying to use a small plumbing type of torch, you will not get it all hot at the same time.

Wil post video of type of torch that I use.

Thanks

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Here is the video that we took today, it is posted under British Seagull on Youtube.

[/img]<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmyQMwxeXK8"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gmyQMwxeXK8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Hope you can see it if not just do a youtube search. (British Seagull Brass Tank End Removal. )

H-A
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

http://www.youtube.com/v/gmyQMwxeXK8

That certainly seemed to work well.

It's worth saying once more that the tank must be free of fumes.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

You're a bloody genius H-A! let me know if you need a few more tanks to get up to 50 <grin>. Keep the video's coming.

Wonder if we can forge some new century blocks.

Hugo (down under).
niander

Post by niander »

How about 102 round tanks?...possible?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

If someone wants to send me a round tank to have a go at, that would be great.

I can't see that it wcould prove to be much of a problem.

I would video removal as last time.

Thanks

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

All finished now, I am quite pleased with the result.

I will let the lacquer harden for a few weeks berofe I use it.

[/img]Image

Thanks

H-A