HTS Welding Crankcase

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Stephen Delmar NY USA

HTS Welding Crankcase

Post by Stephen Delmar NY USA »

I had a cracked block on my Forty Featherweight which I glued up with 5200 sealant last season. Looked like someone dropped the engine on the tiller handle and it cracked the crankcase through the casting for a good 10 cm or so. With the crack the engine wouldnt run of course, as the mixture was way too lean. It started and ran all summer with 5200, but I was going to either replace the case, JB weld it, or have it TIG welded at local shop ($120 estimate) I dismantled the crankcase this winter and tried a product called HTS 2000 (see www.aluminumrepair.com) which is a low temperature Al welding rod product suitable for use with propane, MAPP, or Oxy Acetylene torches. I had access to all three, so figured I would give it a try. THe casting was thick enough that I needed to use oxy acety (about 30 seconds of heating) to get the work piece hot enough but I am happy to report it worked great and I restored my crankcase to working condition. I have no vested interest in this product - just passing on the info! Cheers from the US Stephen