naptha or methanol

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

phil

naptha or methanol

Post by phil »

Has anyone out there run a seagull on naptha [white gas for north americans] or methanol?
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

You're getting me excited - what is naptha or methanol, where can I get it and what does it do?
phil

naptha or methanol

Post by phil »

Hi, Well naptha is used over here in pressurized petrol camping stoves. It was the used early in the century often in auto engines I believe. As far as I remember from my studies years ago, it has none of the additives of modern petrol, otherwise its very similar to petrol. However it has an octane number of about 60, which means that it would probably run without knocking in a motor with a compression ratio of about 5:1. There could be some advantage in in having it in the tank and or carb during storage. It was used in thinning paint and varnish here as well, much as laquer thinner might be.
Methanol, aliases: methyl hydrate or Methyl alcohol was used in auto racing in engines with abnormally high compression ratios as it has an octane number around 100, suitable for engines of up about 10:1 compression ratio. They used to drill out the carb jets to a larger size when it was used. The talk of changing from 10:1 fuel/oil mix to 25:1 brought it back to mind.
mrdraddy

Post by mrdraddy »

Dont mean to spoil the party but why on earth would you want to run a seagull on anything else other than petrol(gas)?
If you need more performance/revs or whatever buy another (bigger) motor,seagulls are sloggers rather than hi-po motors.
here endeth the lesson :lol:
regards paul
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Performance? - its the What If -

The intrinsic English nature is inventive perversity and to create with meagre resource and much research infinite pleasure in a limited field.
The reward of little gain but satisfaction through competing without neccessarily winning.

How else would the excuse to use a noisy smoky engine supersede the more sensible option of a refined Japanese outboard.
Surely just to use a device with such fundamental engineering is not for mere propulsion (aren't there any Japanese slogging engines?) without deaper more meaningful reason.

Why would I want to push my boat along with a WSPC rather than a twin 6hp Mariner Saildrive?

You won't spoil the party by not attending it.