Box of Bits

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Raya

Box of Bits

Post by Raya »

I've been mucking around with a Silver Cenury that I have had for years. The gearbox was shot, the barrel was rusted, and it did't have a transom bracket so it was mainly just for parts. I repaired an old cylinder barrel so decided to resurrect the Silver Century. I found an ad on Gumtree for the missing parts and collected them today. The parts came with a 40 plus as well, so I guess I have another project. The box of bits had a couple of tillers that I hadn't come across before. They are made of brass but have a bracket welded to the end. The grips look like genuine Seagull. Any idea what model (if any) these tillers came from? The round tank appears quite old as it has the hex nut and not the round for the fuel tap thead.
Box of bits.jpg
40 plus.jpg
cookie1

Re: Box of Bits

Post by cookie1 »

Nice selection , the round tank and 2 blade bow tie prop for a 102
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I Like a box of bits, always something of interest to be found 8) The 102 tank has an incorrect fuel tap by the looks of it. Those tillers are normal for earlier 1950s century and 40 series engines.

You also have a bolt on top mount there :P
Raya

Post by Raya »

Not previously pictured, was a leg and gearbox from a Century model that came with the box of bits. When I split the gearbox, I was surprised to see a stainless drive shaft. On inspection, this turned out to be a neat repair of an old shaft. It looks like the stainless was machined to a square at end end and then either welded or pinned in place.
Stainless shaft.jpg
stainless drive shaft repair.jpg
Round peg in square hole.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can you post pictures of the lower unit around the propshaft area.

Is that a 3.5 : 1 box?

Or have I lost it?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Raya

Post by Raya »

I very much doubt that you have lost anything.

The gearbox is a 12/48 clutched model, I assume from a Century Plus model. I thought that the 10/35 box was for the direct drive models only, but I could be wrong. Anyway, here are some pictures of the box (after a cleanup) so you should be able to tell from these.

I forgot to mention (for those that record such things) that the serial number of the crankcase that came with the bits is AD 26524.
gear box 1.jpg
Gear box 2.jpg
Gearbox and prop.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The girlfriend bought me a bag of marbles for my birthday, & that says it all!

That's a "barge pusher" lower unit, the reason for the request was it looked like a 3.5 : 1 box but with a clutch & that couldn't be right.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Raya

Post by Raya »

I thought I would post a few pics of the 40 plus that came with the box of parts. I had the tank powder coated but wasn't satisfied with the finish so haven't put on a transfer just yet. Apart from that, I'm happy with the result.
40 Plus MK II.jpg
40 plus bracket & engine.jpg
40 plus gear box.jpg
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

That has come up nicely. Job well done!
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com