hybrid

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: hybrid

Post by Charles uk »

Grumpy what colour was the spark plug?

Several of your country men have passed comment on your mixed fuel going off over the course of time, something that I've never seen in the UK, I'm told yours doesn't contain some of the bio stuff ours does.

I've never seen separation & some of my fuel might well be 2 years old, It could just be that waxy deposit you get when all the volatiles evaporate in the carb's fuel gallery, that has washed out with the new fuel.

I'd just like to know how that carb is working on your experimental Seagull.

The closest I've been to the Manakau heads is Waiuku or Hoods Landing, perhaps you should think about the Waikato next Easter.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

"Several of your country men have passed comment on your mixed fuel going off over the course of time, something that I've never seen in the UK..."

Possibly because of a higher ethanol content in their petrol? Here in the UK we have E5, whereas in NZ they have E5 but I gather that there's also a lot of E10 available at their retail pumps. I don't want to chase any more red herrings but it might be interesting to know if Grumpy is using E5 or E10 in that Seagull.

Of course, one of the snags with ethanol is that it's hygroscopic, so if condensation is present in the fuel tank (or if there was water contamination at an upstream bulk storage facility) that water will bond with the ethanol and the result will descend to the bottom of the tank. Exploiting that property is, incidentally, the basis of the standard DIY method for stripping ethanol out of your petrol if you'd rather not have any of the damned stuff in there.

Another reported problem (amongst a few others) is that E10 petrol in particular is reputed to not tolerate storage very well.

Petroil mixture separation - nothing to do with ethanol now - is something I first encountered in the late 1960s when I owned an Aerial Arrow Sports. Two stroke twin, Amal carburettor, 25:1 mixture. If you forgot to rock the bike from side to side a couple of times prior to starting (to stir up the mixture in the tank), the engine could be reluctant to fire and would then chug and misfire for a minute prior to settling down.

Staying with petroil mixture separation for a moment, perhaps modern fuel and 2 stroke oils are less inclined to separate after being mixed and allowed to stand for a while. Not something I've looked at - and I wouldn't know either way because I habitually give my Seagulls a quick shake prior to turning on the fuel and starting.

Chris
Last edited by Chris B on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Did they have 2-stroke oil or were you using SAE30 motor oil? Chris
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hi Charles.

Before I respond to your question I should apologise for butting in on your conversation with Grumpy.

As I recall, I'm pretty certain that in those days most of us used straight SAE30 for our petroil mixture. Although some terrible people seemed to chuck in whatever happened to be lying around!

I expect Grumpy hasn't got back to you yet about his spark plug colour because it was very early in the morning in NZ when you asked the question. Probably still had his nose in his Weetabix.

Anyway, regarding your request for Grumpy's plug colour, if it's of any help I can tell you that mine are an aesthetically pleasing combination of silver and white with another silver bit at the top. Oh yes, and they have some black letters on the white bit: NGK AB-6.

Yours in confusion,

Chris
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Weetbix is for woofs I prefer oats 2.25 to 1 mix boiled for 2 mins without salt then eaten straight without sugar.
The plug I used was an old d16 and the only colour inside the shaft is pure black but no sign of any on the face. Would it have picked up any colour in the relative short time?
Have shot up early this morning to the local garage where I usually purchase my petrol and asked the new assistant whether the petrol they were selling contained e5 or e10 and all he did was look at me with a blank face like I was 2 planks short of a house lot.
So I hurtled him to the ground beside the counter that holds cream buns minties and condoms but he still flatly refused to communicate with me .
I picked up that he did not seem to either understand local customs or my dialect. No amount of waving morrow bars got a reaction either.
Don't usually complain but will be ringing his head manager later on and will more than likely take my business elsewhere.
Hope that helps.
Sorry I cannot give better details on the plug.
Cheers

leftb the st
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Probably needs 10 mins under load, on the boat.

I thought you were out Henderson way, that would make the heads miles from you.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Charles uk, yes I am out Henderson. what gave you the idea I wasn't?
cheers
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Grumpy - Charles is, as one would expect, absolutely right.

If you run the motor in a tank with no load, the plug will respond to that situation and it won't tell you what you need to know. At least, not unless you only ever intend to run the engine in a tank with no load.

Let the engine get up to temperature and then give it some hard work to do for a few minutes. That might involve clamping it on the back of something that floats but never mind. Then take it off load and shut it down immediately - i.e. don't let it idle off load for more than a few seconds before you shut it down. Now the plug will give you useful diagnostic information and you'll probably find that the business end looks quite different from how it looks at the moment.

Quite right to beat up the uneducated garage attendant and If I'd been there I'd have helped. I could've held your coat for you or something. By the way, if your petrol came out of a Gull pump, I think there's a good chance that it's the higher (E10) ethanol fuel.

Moving on, I'm entirely in accord with your expressed breakfast sentiments. Like you, I'm not a Weetabix man myself. Much prefer to start the day with a couple of pints of Johnnie Walker accompanied by a side of raw beef between two loaves of stale bread. Copied that from a lovely Kiwi girl who crewed for me all through one summer... Seriously though, although only 20 years old she was one of the finest deep sea helmsmen (helmswomen? helmspersons? Political correctness etc.) that I've ever had the good fortune to encounter.

I'm intrigued by your 2.25:1 oat mixture. Apropos the topic of this thread, it occurs to me that, having mixed it, if you let it stand too long, the components might separate out, causing erratic behaviour and violent backfiring.

Chris
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Well Chris b I'm going to have to wait a bit till the fangs of winter withdraw before I;m going to run the gull on stretch of brine or even fresh water.
Now, oats 2.25 to 1 ratio is of the oats to water hopefully clear of chlorine or any nuclear sediments. If your having problens change to full grain oats boiled for at least 4 minutes but do not. use salt or sugar .Learnt that from a true blue Scotsman who went barefooted through summer to winter and I never saw him in shoes, That will sort you out.
Pints of j walker raw steak stale bread , good grief, As for a 20 yr old helmswoman? Could think of many names but not on line here.

That no salt no sugar came about from orders given me and now true as I lap it up and any additives make it inedible.
Because I do use various oils 3o straight to marine grade I am going to employ the shake the tank system from now on although I used to believe that modern 2 stroke oil, once blended stayed blended for ever.

cheers
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Charles uk, Henderson is on the northern side of the Manukau heads and its a short distance through titirangi onwards through various bays and beaches , mostly bush surrounded to the heads via Huia to a very wild and wooly Whatipu. a fabulous place for the active and those wanting an out in the wild experience. The northern side of the Manukau is far more populated and accessible than the southern side you can reach from the Waikato heads. I take it for granted but it is quite superb.Cheers.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Spent a lot of time in Henderson, Mclaren drive, a Pomme mate had a company there called Race FX, building race cars.
Then stayed in Henderson heights, until he moved everything to Hampton Downs.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Good grief. McLaren drive, and all my carryon with you knowing it all. I use that area and the increasing factory increase to pick up the odd wood pallet to assist my stock of firewood.I live up Sunnyvale /Glendene way .
Was raised in New Lynn but took the plunge when married and trekked the Waikumete ridge to where I live now. I say that with a grin but in 1969 with the house being built I did trudge from New Lynn up to Sunnyvale one sunny day pushing a pram, loaded with 2 kids and the missus attached to my shirttails and all the passing cars, Austins Vauxhalls, Hunbers , Hillmans, Chevs and fords and Wolseys , triumps and Holdens blowing their horns in approval and giving encouragement.
What, where, how is your story in some detail please. Are you a tru blue pom ? where?

Gotta stop dribbling but please answer.
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Before this disappears into neverland and with my camera apparently working heres a few photos of my hybrid.
Started it up a few minutes ago using that advice to shake up the fuel so as to improve starting and stop backfiring.
Gave it a real good shake, 3 pulls , about 10 secs or thereabouts of choke and its running with a touch of smoke and a really gutsy grunty roar. Could be in my head but it sounds better than my 41/2 hp .
So , 41/2 hp block, 4hp tank backwards , Villiers carb, lls lever, cent bottom with 5 leaf hydrofan prop, 102 bracket.
Obviously I'm not a traditionalist because I like it.
Heres fingers crossed the pics move over .
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I don't see any pics.... where are the pics! I want the pics!!! Now!!! Ha HA! :roll:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Hey, bro, do you think I don't know what I'm doing?
Its so simple .
Just don't feel like doing it right now. :oops:
Will get to it asap or before then.
I hope.
Just transfer this blog now off this page :arrow: