New Baby

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

JERSEYMAN

New Baby

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Hi All,
Well I got an email a couple of weeks ago, if I wanted it, a newly found Marston OE was up for grabs so as I was in the UK this weekend I went round and picked it up. Beautiful, totally original, grubby and untouched. A couple of bits missing which I had spare so it’s now complete, from what I can tell every nut, bolt and component is correct apart of the driveshaft pinch bolt it even appears to have the original tiller grip albeit perished. Judging by the JM number it’s a long shaft 1934-ish model. Once home it cleaned up really well.

The Marston OE is quite a rare beast, it’s a hybrid using an OA top end matched to an OF FNR gearbox with a three bladed prop but without the neutral or reverse gears fitted making it fixed. The motor was classed “High Duty” not many were made hence not many have survived
Attachments
691F2085-2E19-4411-8B0E-2FC48D2D0287.jpeg
25F330B4-857C-430A-A3F0-06D46FE29599.jpeg
B1D3E037-D018-4A49-A8EE-F9CC36149CA1.jpeg
7A899373-BF12-43FC-AF16-679E05342EC1.jpeg
Collector Inspector

Re: New Baby

Post by Collector Inspector »

SCORE!!!!!!!

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Nice, a general clean up has done it proud 8) Does it run?
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Not running at the moment, it was missing a barrel the only one I had spare has damage to the skirt, a fairly easy repair, I just need to put some time aside, probably needs a coil but the rest feels good, it seems to have had an easy life, gearbox is smooth and no play in the top crankcase bearing, it doesn’t appear to have been apart, no marks on nuts, no prise or hammer marks anywhere so I’m just going to get it running and keep it in it’s original clothes, maybe re-chrome a couple of bits, another one for the hallway....
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

My OF is still waiting for when I return from working from overseas, not too long hopefully 8)
The question as always, is how far to go? Generally I'm not interested in bling, so just a clean and tidy engine I think. The big question of course is whether to try and take those gearbox end caps off on a marston...? :shock:
Last edited by Oyster 49 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

One of my favourite motors the OF, If I don’t have to strip a box I don’t. Of the four I had to do, two of them had no treads left, only oxide and a thread pattern on the casing and end cap, once the end cap was off, that was it, one gear box end cap still needs repairing the other, after speaking to Charles I took the route of machining and fitting an insert into the gearbox, threading the insert, re threading the end cap and it all went back together, the only thing is that due to the gearbox tapering and the thinness of the casing when machined, the insert that I loctited in is visable as a band of a slightly different coloured alloy just where the end cap sits, the job sounds complicated but it was simple machining, the really hard part was holding the gearbox casing and end cap in the lathe. This must be at least five years ago and I haven’t stripped one since, if I can get away with it I fill the gearbox with petrol/diesel, spinning it to wash it out then filling it with the thickest oil I can find.
Luckily this gearbox still has clean oil in it and is smooth.

The internals are quirky but straight forward enough, it’s just that the pinion can be really tight and theres possibility of damage. The OF gearbox is like a jewel inside.

Not really for the novice but certainly not impossible.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

You should have asked Rene, We had some Birmabright mixed so remanufactured parts are the same colour, not cheap, but we're all a bit anal!

Quite a few people have said that about me!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, I think avoiding moving the front cap is a good strategy!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Great find, congratulations!
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I would have asked Charles but that was a long time ago and I wasn’t sure of the outcome, I guess it’s good to be a little “anal” at times.... whatever that means...
I wonder what non-English (probably including Scottish :lol: ) speaking forum members think when they use google translate... they may not thing this site is just about outboards...
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

You got that one right rena non-English :twisted: nice motor china :evil:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
supersaint61

Post by supersaint61 »

an amazing find you lucky boy
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

supersaint61 wrote:an amazing find you lucky boy
You are the lucky one Sticky for finding it. :)
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Everyone needs an uncle 8)