Transom Bracket Types

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Transom Bracket Types

Post by Charles uk »

I wonder would this site benefit from a pictorial database of all the different Seagull transom brackets?

All that this would require is everyone to send in pics of their brackets & some smart volunteer with the ability to juggle, edit & coordinate all this data.

This raises the question, how many times have we walked past a desirable rare Seagull part at a boat jumble or scrap yard because we didn't recognize it?

How many different brackets do you think there were since 1942?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
cookie1

Re: Transom Bracket Types

Post by cookie1 »

Good idea , I can't offer my technical skills with the database but quite good at looking through scrap ! The more of this sort of information available the better especially for newcomers .
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Just need someone to do the work, who's got the ability, our membership will provide the data & pictures.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Good idea Charles.
So, as a start:-
In respect of just the Early Forty Series, I have described the three different types in my Notes, which accompany the Data List of the Early Series Forty Engines.
I wrote in those Notes:-

There were three different types of Transom Brackets:- The early 4” (engaged depth) plated one on the left with the thumbscrews on approx 2.25”centres. Recorded as 4” P ‘inside’. The later 4” (engaged depth) plated one in the middle with the thumbscrews on approx 3.102 centres. Recorded as 4” P. The larger 5.4” (engaged depth), with a 1 3/4” opening and the security bar on the port side on the right hand side. Recorded as 5.4”SBPort.
transom Brackets. Data Sheet.jpg
As to exactly when these were introduced is another issue and is subjected to some vagueness, although the first one on the left, I am sure was introduced at the start of production. Certainly F210 came with that type when I acquired it.
The middle one was possibly, perhaps, maybe, introduced about serial number 1500.
The third one looks from the very sketchy data that I have collected that it might have been introduced very very approximately about serial number 16000, and I think continued to the end of production of the LS/LM.

Jeremy
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Here's a poor example of what I was thinking.
Skeletal bracket 001.JPG
With an accurate sized background, all brackets in the correct orientation, with a side elevation picture, a full picture of the thrust block & the engine support lug assembly.