Hello! New Seagull Owner

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

DinghoBaby

Hello! New Seagull Owner

Post by DinghoBaby »

Evening all, hope you're enjoying the long weekend.

Just came into possession of a late '77 Forty Plus. Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/0OOtzji

As you might expect, I've come with questions, hope you can help...

I think I've located everything apart from 1) the choke lever and 2) a button on top of the float chamber for 'tickling' the carburetor
Would they be where I've marked in the first and second photos, and how should I operate them, please?

Cheers!
Aceface

Re: Hello! New Seagull Owner

Post by Aceface »

Hullo, although I am also new to the world of being a Seagull owner, I believe you are spot on in that you have correctly identified the thumb operated choke restriction on the side of the carb air inlet, and the button for bleeding the system to fill the fuel bowl from when the fuel system needs priming prior to starting. The choke is "on" when the air intake is restricted as in the photo, it is in the "off" position once the engine is running fine by pressing the short lever down and pivoting the restriction up and out of the carb air intake. The bleed button is pressed until there is evidence of surplus petrol mix filling the carb bowl and over flowing from the small hole at the top of the carb bowl, the fuel system is now primed and ready to start.
DinghoBaby

Re: Hello! New Seagull Owner

Post by DinghoBaby »

Aceface wrote:Hullo, although I am also new to the world of being a Seagull owner...
Thanks for the reply! I did wonder about the choke lever because it looked like it needed to be attached to something.
Aceface wrote:...over flowing from the small hole at the top of the carb bowl...
I think that's the bit of knowledge I needed.

Cheers!

p.s. good luck with yours