EBAY

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

EBAY

Post by Charles uk »

Can anyone tell me who benefits from posting Ebay finds on the S.O.S. forum?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
tambikeboy

Re: EBAY

Post by tambikeboy »

Anybody that doesn't look on it.. china :twisted:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I like seeing things that are on ebay posted.
It creates discussion, and on more than one occasion it has directed me to motors that I had missed.
Also it allows members to comment on condition and originality.
I am not suggesting that people should promote sales by linking the item to this forum, but do feel it is worth discussing gems if you spot them.

H-A
cookie1

Post by cookie1 »

I find it helpful , the less experienced of us can gain a lot of knowledge from reading other people's comments . It may also save a rare model from slipping through the net . Perhaps these items would be more at home in the ' for sale ' section ?
crab24

Post by crab24 »

Hi
I think the only person that benefits from us listing things for sale on eBay on this site
Is the vendor who has free advertisng and also chance to boost the sale value
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I agree with H-A. I share things I’ve spotted occasionally, and recently I bought something because I’d spotted it, and it’s now going to somebody I know off the forum who will be very happy to have it.

It’s also good to discuss certain postings good or bad. I’m not suggesting we dissect everything, but we are a Seagull discussion group are we not?
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I once bought an ON for £75 on eBay, a friend here in Jersey bought an OA plus an Anzani for £150 albeit with a very poor photo on the listing, real bargains, I’ve no doubt if it had been mentioned on here they would have gone for a lot more... good or bad?? well there is pros and cons to discussing such items but in the end the person with the deepest pockets tends to get the item once everybody knows about, bargains will be lost for ever....
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

There, found the photos
Attachments
1A7FB7C5-C62A-4872-A0CB-546C501D2A25.jpeg
94CCF192-CF6E-4540-AB68-43405D426DD7.jpeg
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

:?: Hi Rene,
You are certainly the man with the experience to recognise a Marston and what it is worth.
Yes, there are pros and cons about spreading the word of a possible 'bargain' on ebay.

Clearly it is always very nice to get a bargain.

However if one is going to restore an engine, is the difference between a 'bargain' and the normal going fair price, significant ,when the cost of the restoration/refurbishment/repair is brought into the equation? I am sure we can always quote many examples of making some money in buying a 'bargain'. But, is making money the prime objective with the hobby of Seagulls? Surely, the satisfaction and interest of this hobby lies elsewhere.

The other side of the seller/buyer situation is that probably many people are sitting on piles of spares, which they are reluctant to pass on or sell, because they are concerned they will be inadvertently giving somebody a 'bargain'. And so they hang on to their spares. Does this ring true? Does this help anybody?

Is this worth a discussion?

Jeremy
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I certainly would like to see more swapping activity on the forum, along with selling at “between enthusiasts” rates. I needed a carb for by HSD engine a while back, asked here and found one at a fair price very quickly. Just what the forum is for 8)
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Hail/hail oyster there's only 2 answers yes or no if you don't ask there's less chance of getting..... :evil: did you get a barge pusher gearbox..for that unicorn :twisted:
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote:I certainly would like to see more swapping activity on the forum, along with selling at “between enthusiasts” rates. I needed a carb for by HSD engine a while back, asked here and found one at a fair price very quickly. Just what the forum is for 8)
I can say that I only sell at "between enthusiasts" rates to forum users, in the hope that others will reciprocate.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

:evil: did you get a barge pusher gearbox..for that unicorn :twisted:
I did thanks, I just need to arrange to get hold of it, again via the forum.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I can say that I only sell at "between enthusiasts" rates to forum users, in the hope that others will reciprocate.
Absolutely, we need to see more of this stuff, its the life blood of the forum.