Gear oil and two stroke

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

John@sos

Re: Gear oil and two stroke

Post by John@sos »

Hello Pinger,

I do not doubt it for a moment, but who in their right mind is going to pay for that pricey oil when normal EP140 is available for £5.50 a litre here?

If you get a load of odd oil from an unknown source, try it out first!

As I said, not normally seen! Not in 30 plus years plus dealing with Seagull gearboxes! Many, many hundreds of them.

Seagull, Simple Engineering. Keep it that way!

Regards,
John
SOS
Pinger

Post by Pinger »

John@sos wrote:Hello Pinger,

I do not doubt it for a moment, but who in their right mind is going to pay for that pricey oil when normal EP140 is available for £5.50 a litre here?
I'll answer that question with a quote from yourself:
'' Far, far cheaper than replacing bearings and cogs... if indeed any are still available!''

John@sos wrote:As I said, not normally seen! Not in 30 plus years plus dealing with Seagull gearboxes! Many, many hundreds of them.
There was a time it was unknown to me too.
John@sos wrote:Seagull, Simple Engineering. Keep it that way!
Keep it as it was when it left the factory without any wear?

Anyway, just adding to the body of knowledge, making people aware of what is available and possible. Nowhere more so than with lubricants do people accept poor results because that's all they've known. Things can always be done better. Had British Seagull not thought so - this would be a forum about oars!
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Cannot quite see the relevance of the comments Pinger.

Seagulls are simple machines with simple needs, so long as we keep them cared for, it need not be either expensive nor complicated.

Lots of things have changed in the world, there have been loads of advances in all areas, but old Seagulls with worn shafts and bearings normally will carry on for years with simple care.

Yes great if we can always have new bearings and seals, but to be honest, out of the thousands of owners, not many try to make their motors as the day they left the factory, they are just happy to be able to use them still. As spares become more scarce, this is the way we we will have to proceed.

Sadly FP bevel gears have now all gone at Seagull, and so have many other parts, so we preserve what we have as best we can.

When they make a great oil that is cheap and just great for our use sure someone will find it and try it, till then I suggest the simple ways are quite OK.

Good luck with the research.

Regards,
John
SOS