Retirement Project

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Raya

Retirement Project

Post by Raya »

I bought this 63 model 102 about 10 years ago. I finally got around to "doing it up" and finished the project yesterday. The motor is in good condition with little rust in the head, and starts easily.

My association with Seagulls dates back to when I was young. My father bought seagulls (and Anzanis) for our plywood dinghy which I began using as soon as I was old enough to master the rope start. There weren't in very good condition and I used to venture out against the tide so that I could row home easily if they wouln't start (which was often). My uncle gave me a Seagull when I was 15 and this one was more reliable. I only kept it for a couple of years until I traded it for a Matchless motorcycle.

I intend to use the 102 occasionally on my tinnie to go fishing with the grandkids.
Attachments
1963 Seagull outboard
1963 Seagull outboard
Hugz

Re: Retirement Project

Post by Hugz »

That has come up very nicely indeed! Qld?
Raya

Post by Raya »

Thanks Hutz.
Yes, I'm in Qld, at the Gold Coast.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Very nice looking forward to photos when you use it.
Last edited by croweater on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Beautifully restored. Well done!

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
african imp

Post by african imp »

That really is a nice looking restoration, well done, please post images of it in use.

Regards

Roy Hout Bay, near Cape Town, South Africa.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Great job, enjoy using it 8)
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

I wonder if the matchless is still looking as good as your 102?

Nice job that.
Raya

Post by Raya »

Took the 102 for a run on the river today with my granddaughter. The outboard ran fine but, after about 5 minutes running, it stopped dead and would not restart. I had to row back to the ramp glad that the test run was against the tide. My initial thought was that the coil had failed when it got hot but I found that the issued was a fouled plug. I guess that there was some loose carbon floating around in the cylinder. With a cleaned up plug, the outboard ran fine in the test tank for ten minutes. Lesson learned is take a plug spanner with me on the next test run.
All ready to depart
All ready to depart
A fouled plug put an end to the test run.
All ready to depart
All ready to depart
Attachments
shorted plug.jpg
geofflena

Post by geofflena »

I envy you 'rivers' that look like the Bahamas ! 8)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Can you take a picture of the far bank, it looks a bit like Mangroves, flies & mossies over there.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Raya

Post by Raya »

Yes, there are mangrove trees on the far bank. The area is a nature reserve, so no development. I like mangrove trees. They act as natural filtration units for the water and are a nursery for the fish and crabs that breed in the river. They also breed mosquitoes and sand flies, which can become a bit of a problem if we have rain at the same time as the spring tides, as happened this year. The council regularly sprays for mosquitoes from helicopters. I think that this is probably more a PR excercise than a practical one.

Here is a photo of the other bank showing the mangrove trees. My grandson caught a rather large stingray (released) soon after the picture was taken.
Mangrove trees.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

That cable tie on the tiller arm will probably kink the throttle cable if the tiller arm is raised vertical!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Good job on the rebuild, look great.

Valid point about cable tie, throttle cable often better left hanging loose from previous experience.

Who hasn't got a Forty Plus or a featherweight with a kinked cable, caused by the cable going through the hole in the tiller mount.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Raya wrote:Took the 102 for a run on the river today with my granddaughter. The outboard ran fine but, after about 5 minutes running, it stopped dead and would not restart. I had to row back to the ramp glad that the test run was against the tide. My initial thought was that the coil had failed when it got hot but I found that the issued was a fouled plug. I guess that there was some loose carbon floating around in the cylinder. With a cleaned up plug, the outboard ran fine in the test tank for ten minutes. Lesson learned is take a plug spanner with me on the next test run.

ready to go.jpg

A fouled plug put an end to the test run.

ready to go.jpg
Looks great on the tinnie, make a tool kit I use a tool roll in it I have a;
Spark Plug never needed one touch wood.
Prop Spring & Split Pin used a few of these sand bars, snags and some poor buggers trousers have broken mine thought we had hooked a body on the leg it was that heavy when tilting the motor.
Pull cord some of mine have seem to jump overboard, had one break once.
Zip ties.
A few spanner's, pliers, screwdriver etc.

John