Forty Feather

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Re: Forty Feather

Post by Charles uk »

Does your Mk4 have a stop button wire Martin?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
fleetingcontact

Post by fleetingcontact »

So the stop switch is something to do with grounding the signal to the CDi right? Make with the science dude. Yep, the module I referred to has the requisite wire.
fleetingcontact

Wipac Mk3 CD Ignition.jpg
Mk3 CDi module
Wipac Mk4 CD Ignition.jpg
Mk4 CDi module
Wipac Mk3 & Mk4 Rope Pulley With Spacer And Nut.jpg
Mk3&4 nut, washer, pulley, spacer
Mk 4 Wipac Ignition Module.jpg
Mk4 module with extra wire
Mk4 Flywheel.jpg
Mk4 Flywheel
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If you put your motor back together with that wire hanging through one of the holes in the base plate, start it & see what happens when you earth that cable on the motor.

Your picture of the Mk4 flywheel & spacer is missing the locking pin that fits in both holes to stop the spacer spinning when the recoil is pulled, between the starter cup & spacer they rely on the aluminium binding under the nut pressure.
fleetingcontact

I know, just for fun, why don't you stop asking all your annoying rhetorical questions and actually contribute something for a change?
Steve On sheppey

Post by Steve On sheppey »

The other option of course, would be to change the throttle control for a spring loaded trigger type, normally used on strimmer etc, so if I let go, as in if I fell off kayak , it would cut out the seagul as it was meant to, if that makes sense
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

fleetingcontact wrote:I know, just for fun, why don't you stop asking all your annoying rhetorical questions and actually contribute something for a change?
Bit rude, have you ever taken one of these apart yourself?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Steve On sheppey wrote:The other option of course, would be to change the throttle control for a spring loaded trigger type, normally used on strimmer etc, so if I let go, as in if I fell off kayak , it would cut out the seagul as it was meant to, if that makes sense
You can get a twistgrip throttle that fits
2.jpg
Adjust the throttle so that it shuts off if you let go.
fleetingcontact

Horsley-Anarak wrote:
fleetingcontact wrote:I know, just for fun, why don't you stop asking all your annoying rhetorical questions and actually contribute something for a change?
Bit rude, have you ever taken one of these apart yourself?
Nothing rude about it.

Yes, I have taken several apart (and put them back together), it was never easy and involved much 'ungentlemanly behaviour'. Nor was a subsequent removal of the flywheel much easier.

The throttle idea is very sensible. Pattern Enfield 7/8" twist-grips made in India can be had via Ebay for cheaper than elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twist-Thrott ... ctupt=true
Steve On sheppey

Charles uk wrote:
Replace the gear oil ever time you use it!
As a newbie, any links to video showing me how to do that ?
Steve On sheppey

Don't worry, found it on YouTube
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not that keen on the "Dead man's throttle arrangement" as you loose a hand for any of the routine jobs & if you have to do anything in a rush that requires 2 hands, the engine stops!

I think the lanyard idea is the best course of action. get us a picture of the flywheel rim & I'll be able to tell you if this is an easy job that only requires a switch that costs less than £10 from Ebay, just ensure it's waterproof.
If you have any doubts about the reason why, next time your out in your Seagull boat sit down & let go of the tiller at full throttle!

Give your flywheel taper interface a small squirt of WD40 or the like, this will involve removing the nut, starter cup & spacer, & follow Seagull's instructions on how to remove the flywheel, it's not usually a drama 9 out of 10 times, Just make sure the hammer hits the nut firmly & dead square, it's probably better that the 4 hands doing this are male!

I know I've got a reconditioned Mk3 with a stop button in storage I'll try & get a picture this afternoon.
Steve On sheppey

Charles uk wrote: If you have any doubts about the reason why, next time your out in your Seagull boat sit down & let go of the tiller at full throttle!
I already have the lanyard kill switch, but must admit to being a bit of a dexter, the tiller will probably get removed as not needed, the engine will be fixed in straight position, as my trident has a rudder fitted on the rear with foot controls for turning, I may even be able to set a lanyard onto the throttle, so it can be set at a pre determined speed and let go off, but still cut out if I leave the kayak unexpectedly
Steve On sheppey

Just had a dexter thought which I'll try out first, as I'm sure if I was to fall out, it'll be from opposite side to the seagull, as the seagull side will also have an outrigger,
So my cheap easier cut out, will be to drill the knob on end of throttle, and place a ring with lanyard attached to me, still keep both hands free and original fittings