Dreaded Bedding Compound.

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Journeyman

Dreaded Bedding Compound.

Post by Journeyman »

My 1956 Century runs well and I used it last year back and fore to the moorings and a couple of trips on the Haven, it seams to have been looked after but decided to strip and check things and generaly tidy it up before the spring.
For some reason a previous owner has bedded. every thing down in what looks like Sikaflex.
Outboard 183.jpg
Managed to separate the clamps from the transom bracket but the tank is another matter.
Outboard 188.jpg
Looks like the fibre pads have also been bedded in Sikaflex, will try to cut through the pads.
The HT lead fitting going into the base plate also looks to have been sealed into place!
Was expecting the usual seized parts due to corrosion but not this self inflicted problem! :roll:
Collector Inspector

Re: Dreaded Bedding Compound.

Post by Collector Inspector »

Looks like a great way to minimise vibration and the rattles actually.

Will be interesting to hear if it actually worked at all after you take it out of the picture later.

Cheers

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Yes BnC, it would stop things from vibrating lose and also prevent dissimilar metal corrosion.
But the inability to strip things down is a big drawback, it took me most of the afternoon to get the tank off, luckily with out damage, that high pressure steam gasket is tough stuff!

Dave.
Collector Inspector

Dave........the gasket material is not asbestos is it?

Just a thort that to be careful if it looks as though the stuff is an older modification?

BnC

PS: BnC is short for Bruce and Cello (Ships Cat)
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Good thought Bruce, will have a good clean up later tonight and pick up the pieces left on the bench.
Will be spending the rest of the week in an asbestos boat shed! Though I’m told this sort of asbestos is safe, hope so it’s a very old shed from the 1930's.

Dave.
PS does the cat know were it’s name comes from? :)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

PS does the cat know were it’s name comes from? :)
I don't think it is going to be Cello Tape (unless the cat was found in a sticky mess) :mrgreen:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Collector Inspector

Cello

Not sticky tape.

About 16 years ago I lost my Puss "Clarise" complications with liver from an earlier snake bite. She was six. I was gutted.

Word got around through my partner of that time work.......an unknown body rocked up the front door one early morning and just handed me a VERY VERY young kitten. I mean WTF this is like I do not have teats?

That was how I met Cello. The wee critter was actually in a bag. The bag was a gig bag. The bag was styled for a "Cello".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cello

The bag was taken away I must say......

The relationship was rather forced for maybe the next 8 weeks but somehow the tissue pocket liners and the vet supplied feeding syringes and formula got the job done.

I went about a day to day work routine as normal......just that I had a wee body in a jacket pocket. Got busted a few times on .gov sites but all with good humour at the time, Local Caltex and supermarket had a great time as She got strong enough to either be in a basket of shopping or, be on my shoulder when paying for fuel.

Cello is old now but VERY much a "Ships Cat"...........

Hope that helps and sparks some memories of very early posts and conversations from an earlier SOS prior to the big crash.

Cheers

BnC
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Nice story Bruce, was hoping the name wasn’t something to do with Catgut for a Cello :twisted: .

Dave.
Collector Inspector

HA!

I have considered investigating "Cat Gut" many times as She ages........Old age, I believe, just brings on being rather hard to get along with and antagonistic in the middle of the hallway in the wee hours.

We get along on Her terms after so many years.

All good even though I have made certain gutting comments aye.

She kind of ignores me and carries on regardless.

All is well with Her world aye.

Love Her to bits!

BnC
Collector Inspector

Cello is looking at me as though "Been Smoking with Willy have ya" ......in that look.....I know that look after so long....She may be correct in that thought.
Cello Hallway.jpg
Hallway as mentioned earlier...........gets crowded pitch black later.

Genesis and headphones with a big jar of fermented Vegetable goodness.

Now we get back to motors.

BnC[/color]
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Nostalgic photos Bruce,, here is one I rescued, she’s never grown up and has stayed very small.
Dave 04.jpg
As you say back to the engines.
Outboard 194.jpg
Gear box next.
Dave..
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:Cello

Not sticky tape.

About 16 years ago I lost my Puss "Clarise" complications with liver from an earlier snake bite. She was six. I was gutted.

Word got around through my partner of that time work.......an unknown body rocked up the front door one early morning and just handed me a VERY VERY young kitten. I mean WTF this is like I do not have teats?

That was how I met Cello. The wee critter was actually in a bag. The bag was a gig bag. The bag was styled for a "Cello".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cello

The bag was taken away I must say......

The relationship was rather forced for maybe the next 8 weeks but somehow the tissue pocket liners and the vet supplied feeding syringes and formula got the job done.

I went about a day to day work routine as normal......just that I had a wee body in a jacket pocket. Got busted a few times on .gov sites but all with good humour at the time, Local Caltex and supermarket had a great time as She got strong enough to either be in a basket of shopping or, be on my shoulder when paying for fuel.

Cello is old now but VERY much a "Ships Cat"...........

Hope that helps and sparks some memories of very early posts and conversations from an earlier SOS prior to the big crash.

Cheers

BnC
Nice story Bruce!
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

So drained and striped the gear box and found it in as new condition not a hint of corrosion.
Outboard 203.jpg
Just a smear of the old shellac based gasket goo, the gasket is still usable.
Any one know what gasket goo was used at the factory in 1956, think it’s possible it’s never been opened before.
Everything seems to be original.

Dave.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Everything cleaned up and ready to asemble.
Outboard 205.jpg
Next thing make up a new throttle cable.

Dave.
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

With most of it back together it’s time to make a new Throttle Cable.
Outboard 209.jpg
Tiller, Lever and carb fitted so I can measure the outer cable.
Outboard 211.jpg
The old cable is crippled and the outer is starting to split up.
Outboard 215.jpg
Time to find the old Flux with the solder in the lid.
Outboard 210.jpg
Using a bit of shaft as an anvil I’ll use a cold-chisel to cut the ends off this bike cable and cut the outer to length.
Outboard 217.jpg
The nipples on the old cable will drop down the inner when heated with a large soldering iron, they can not be pulled off because the wire will have been flared out at the top of the nipple. Once both nipples are lose the wire can be cut and the nipple removed.