Clamp ring differences

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Clamp ring differences

Post by african imp »

Can someone please advise why the clamp ring in the front has a plate spot welded to it and away from the clamp ring, leaving a slot for some purpose?
Attachments
IMG_2083.JPG
tambikeboy

Re: Clamp ring differences

Post by tambikeboy »

If I was a gambling man I'd say the one with the extra bit is to stop it accidently slipping into gear like the older 102s same principle me thinks....but I'm usually wrong.
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Your exactly right Tam, only used on early 102's!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

To explain it a little further the end of the clutch lever rests on it so it stays in neutral. The vibrations tend to "chatter" the lever to the extent that it drops down causing the clutch to engage. If you have a look at the centre hole of a lever it is drilled in such a manner that the lever can pivot sideways. I always think it is a bit clumsy. Do the direct drive corresponding models have this bit missing?
levers clamp.jpg
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

If these are fuel tank straps they should be 4.5 inch diameter, and if they are exhaust clamps they should be 3 inch diameter.
Could you measure them so we can be sure.
At a quick glance it can be easy to get these mixed up.

I have seen later types of exhaust clamps fitted onto 102's made from steel strap sometimes chromed and possibly the same as those found on century motors.
Later 102's with aluminium exhaust tubes in particular those that are direct drive and without a clutch lever might have similar straps to those shown on the left of your picture.
african imp

Post by african imp »

tambikeboy wrote:If I was a gambling man I'd say the one with the extra bit is to stop it accidently slipping into gear like the older 102s same principle me thinks....but I'm usually wrong.

Thanks, I just need an early 102 motor to fit it to now!
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

How early Roy?
african imp

Post by african imp »

blokewithaboat wrote:How early Roy?
I have a part seized 102 power head here, it has the Wipac coil.

I also have various down tubes and a gear box, there is no round tank though.
Raya

Post by Raya »

I have a 63 TD, so no clutch, but it has the additional support attachment to the clamp. I guess that Seagull used the same part regardless of whether a clutch was fitted or not. Fair enough to keep the parts count down. What I can't understand, was why they used a USF threaded bolt and nut to secure the clamp instead of the BSF threads as used on the tank. Two extra parts for no real reward.

My exhaust clamp is nickel plated and not chromed as most seemed to be. I'm getting it replated in nickel and pick it up next week.

I enjoy the forum. It has been a great help.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Raya wrote:I have a 63 TD, so no clutch, but it has the additional support attachment to the clamp. I guess that Seagull used the same part regardless of whether a clutch was fitted or not. Fair enough to keep the parts count down. What I can't understand, was why they used a USF threaded bolt and nut to secure the clamp instead of the BSF threads as used on the tank. Two extra parts for no real reward.

My exhaust clamp is nickel plated and not chromed as most seemed to be. I'm getting it replated in nickel and pick it up next week.

I enjoy the forum. It has been a great help.
I have two spare clamp rings here, one is nickle and the other chrome plated, so they mixed them up?