Wipac coil volage please

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Wipac coil volage please

Post by african imp »

With the recent testing of the Wipac coil done on my 1974 Forty engine, I have just tested the 12v Lucas Sport coil on my 1967 Hillman Imp.

The reading is 9.7 or 9700 Ohms, are the coil voltages the same? A spare Lucas Sport coil that I have reads to 9.9 Ohms, a Lucas none Sport reads to 7.1 only.

Is the Wipac a 6 volt or a 12 volt unit?
Attachments
IMG_1967.JPG
Collector Inspector

Re: Wipac coil volage please

Post by Collector Inspector »

You are trying to compare two completely different ignition systems I am afraid.

Your Imp uses a 12v coil but it is for a Kettering ignition system.

The Wipac coil is supplied by far higher incidental voltages produced from a Magneto system.

They are worlds apart.

What is the reason for investigating this by the way?

Cheers

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
african imp

Post by african imp »

Collector Inspector wrote:You are trying to compare two completely different ignition systems I am afraid.

Your Imp uses a 12v coil but it is for a Kettering ignition system.

The Wipac coil is supplied by far higher incidental voltages produced from a Magneto system.

They are worlds apart.

What is the reason for investigating this by the way?

Cheers

BnC
Testing coils with a meter is something new to me, I have two Wipac ones here, they both read to 5.0 on my multimeter set on the 200k option, so 5000 Ohms I am told?

I then tested the Imps coil out of curiosity and wondered why the large difference?

What voltage is the Wipac coil please?
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

The primary windings on your Imp are energised by the cars 12v system, on the Seagull the primary windings are energised by the flywheel magnets passing the two iron keepers on either end of the coil. There is no simple way to measure the AC voltage produced and no need to. It could be calculated if you know the number of primary windings in the coil and the engine RPM, it will probably be about 50v AC.
african imp

Post by african imp »

Journeyman wrote:The primary windings on your Imp are energised by the cars 12v system, on the Seagull the primary windings are energised by the flywheel magnets passing the two iron keepers on either end of the coil. There is no simple way to measure the AC voltage produced and no need to. It could be calculated if you know the number of primary windings in the coil and the engine RPM, it will probably be about 50v AC.
Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_1992.JPG