Flywheel pull cord

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

Flywheel pull cord

Post by african imp »

On another page Hugz asked how many coils do I have around my none starting Forty flywheel?

I have checked and find it is three, plus a short length left over about 100mm long.

The lines total length is 620mm, from inside the end knot to inside the wooden draw handle.

Is this accptable?
Attachments
IMG_1897.JPG
Grumpy

Re: Flywheel pull cord

Post by Grumpy »

I have been having difficulties getting my 2 best seagulls started up lately and having to rewind and rewind the starting cord is getting up my left nostril. So I have created a 3 meter or thereabouts long starting cord using 400 lb fishing nylon . Then I laid a 4 inch plywood plank up the middle of my 12 ft allie dinghy up to the foredeck . I can get about 18 winds onto the gulls , saving my old tired body a heap of effort, then balancing carefully on the plank I move as fast as possible along the plank till just before the foredeck, and ensuring I stay aboard and not hurtle off into the drink. Could be tricky in weather less than calm but I'll sort that out later.
Maybe might draw a bit of flack from those worried about the use of so much nylon but otherwise I reckon I've come up with a great idea and with further developement a possible business proposition.