A tale of two flyheels

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

african imp

A tale of two flyheels

Post by african imp »

I have a few spare flywheels, one has three openings and looks as if it may be earlier than the one with just two openings.

The three openings one was never painted inside, the two openings one was and similar dark gold colour to my 1974 Forty series engine.

What date would the three openings one be from and if it was painted what colour would it have been.

Can like for like flywheels be interchanged?
Attachments
IMG_9928.JPG
IMG_9925.JPG
tambikeboy

Re: A tale of two flyheels

Post by tambikeboy »

To my understanding one takes Villiers ignition the other takes wipac and might only be interchangeable if using base plate to suit (now here comes the bullets I've been wrong before).the 3 holed one might be dated around the rim. :oops:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
african imp

Re: A tale of two flywheels

Post by african imp »

tambikeboy wrote:To my understanding one takes Villiers ignition the other takes wipac and might only be interchangeable if using base plate to suit (now here comes the bullets I've been wrong before).the 3 holed one might be dated around the rim. :oops:

Thanks on this, there is no sign of a date on the three opening one, I will bead blast it clean and see what is under the dirt?

The spare base plates I have both have the square openingto take the Wipac pack.

You are correct on the Villiers connection, I have removed the cover plate off the LLS 29054 Century 100 model and there is the same flywheel and Villiers coil, so I now have a spare.

This flywheel has a natural alloy finish, it was never painted?
Attachments
IMG_1883.JPG
african imp

Re: A tale of two flyheels

Post by african imp »

This Century 100 flywheel does have a date marking on it.

R82A80 6/61 and a stamping M49 close to the center shaft.

So June 1961 is the date?

Is the M49 for magneto?
Attachments
IMG_1887.JPG