New 1974 WSPCL327MM4

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Grumpy

New 1974 WSPCL327MM4

Post by Grumpy »

Woke up today, saw this seagull advertised on line advertised as new, unused, stored $450nz , woke the better half up and mumbled sweet nothings and how would she like to buy all my birthday and xmas presents for the next 10 years ( dreaming) and blow me down she instantly said yes.
So raced to the other side of Auckland at 2.30pm and brought the magnificent beast home.
It is not 100%, some minor dirt and storage dust here and there and the worst some stains atop the block.
Came with a spanner , original cord, spring and has the 8com plug which shows minute usage probably due to the dealership startup.
Label was still attached advising to loosen steering block.
But there is no doubt she is a virgin who turns over nicely.
Now I'm going to keep cleaning her up over the coming weeks and check the oils etc.
And I guarantee never to use it in salt water.
Now, advice please.
Should I start her up , not only to prove shes a runner but to do the "right thing" or should it be wiser to leave her b just as a show pony.
Do not have a suitable craft as I only have a dinghy now and heeps of seagulls for that.
Attachments
DSCF1095.JPG
DSCF1094.JPG
DSCF1090.JPG
DSCF1096.JPG
Hugz

Re: New 1974 WSPCL327MM4

Post by Hugz »

Nice motor. I can understand your dilemma. I'm a great believer in procrastination when a decision is difficut. Keep it as is and then when the opportunity arrives to use it, then a decision can be made. They are tank tested at the factory so a quick run in a tank would in my view be acceptable. Whether you advertise the fact to the greater community is up to you. I don't think l would. Any paperwork ie original receipts? The whole package l think would also influence my decision. Nice dilemma to have!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Nice one! Keep It as new, Don't start it!!!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

A lovely long shaft! Get your self a nice skiff and take it to sea, the sooner you get some dents in that tank the better!! :roll:
Dave
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Been a while since i last posted, had some stuff come up.

Not to spoil it for you but it is pretty unlikely that its never been run since the factory, The only way to comfirm it hasnt would have been if it was in its box/crate and with the cardboard cover round the tank.

Small amount of carbon in the exhaust holes shows this, Still a nice motor though.

Jacob
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Jacob, you are highly likely to be correct even though after 50 years on the wagon I took a giant slug of single malt to overcome my grief while desperately trying to hold tightly to my fantasies. LOL
Today while doing some finer cleaning , and finding amongst the extras, one of the small square mouthed spanners for carbie jet removal .
Haven't yet done that to see which jet is installed.
The top of the piston as far as can be seen via the spark plug entry has absolutely no visible marks and the drive shaft via the water intake holes shows a very clean face.
The owners stated that the dealership where they bought the seagull in 1976 in Taupo did run it prior to handover .They maintained they were the original and only owners and did not even start it.
That could be the reason for the carbon. Hopefully that is the entire truth, and there is nothing to indicate heavier usage even allowing for my mechanical innocence.
Any wd40 I had sprayed around certainly came hosing down the exhaust etc .
Have'nt fully checked the gearbox except to observe it does contain heavy dark oil presumably the original content. Clean as and no sign of sludge or coffee.
Took the 8 com plug out again today and it did seem to show perhaps a fraction too much wear so that just ties in with your comment.
I.m taking your comment aboard as the correct one but believing also it has not been run other than testing or trial .
Still a beauty .Cheers, Jim

T
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Surely it is a matter of how it looks rather than whether the crankshaft assembly has tpossibleurned over 5,000 times or 500,000 times. Obviously running it, increases the chance of handling damage as well as some oil/temperature stains. But apart from that, the visuals are affected by general handling and storage conditions.
However where is the pleasure of protecting it and storing it safely in a box? You want to see it! So what about building a glass or acrylic (humidity controlled?) case so that you can admire it in your workshop/store. Or else place it in your living room - that might need further careful negotiations with your other half!

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Jeremy
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

What a wonderful comment.
Was thinking about putting in the lounge as everyone I know considers I have a screw loose
Should I park it near my favourite echo chainsaw or considerately to one side so the tv is visible?
Now thats an idea.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

There is nothing wrong with having an outboard in the living room.... After all I have one in mine!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Right, after all that great advice and points of view, thanks, I'm not going to start it and it will be left on the wooden trolley it came on( stained up today)and will be placed beside the wooden burner , on the hearth, in the lounge.
Discussed it maturely and sensibly with the wife and while she put forward her own reasonable thoughts I held the winning hand and threatened to withdraw her conjugal rights.
She quickly changed her mind at that.
But if ever I come into possession of a coastal skiff I will reconsider but not at risk of denting the tank.
Just can't abide people who use dented tanks.
Is it legal to feel the way I do about this common and cheap everyday little outboard?
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Well I don’t know anyone who keeps an outboard in the house but I do know someone who keeps his VFR in the living room! Once when the misses was away working I did bring my VFR into the kitchen to sort out some issues, no not dents in the tank! :lol: .
Dave
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

Journeyman wrote:Well I don’t know anyone who keeps an outboard in the house but I do know someone who keeps his VFR in the living room! Once when the misses was away working I did bring my VFR into the kitchen to sort out some issues, no not dents in the tank! :lol: .
Dave
Brings back memories that I once kept 2x Honda super dreams in my bedroom when I was a young yin.....sisters had the stereo I'd have smoke machine. :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Every brass tank l have has a dent bar one and that is an LS with 'the bird' that has lived in a crate all its life.
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

[/quote]
Brings back memories that I once kept 2x Honda super dreams in my bedroom when I was a young yin.....sisters had the stereo I'd have smoke machine. :lol:[/quote]

Ducati 748 sps about to go into my living room :lol: :lol:
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

seagull101 wrote:Ducati 748 sps about to go into my living room :lol: :lol:
I think your grey fergie would be more my style. Now that would look good in a lounge room. Might have trouble getting it through the front door though.