FV8905

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

seagull101

FV8905

Post by seagull101 »

Since i didn't get far with my FVP restoration as it needs a powerhead i'm going to do a full resto on this complete but poorly restored FV.

Bought this with the other two back in march for a decent price. does not run, very low on compression so will be a display engine.

Today i stripped it down to a carcass and stripped the gearbox, all been apart by previous owner and has all stainless screws so was very easy to dismantle. Pinion has some play but once again does not matter as its for display. Driveshaft also cracked, will weld this. Ali impeller on this one.

As you can see its been painted all over so will have to strip off all the silver so i can polish it.

Transom damaged but the donor FVP has a good one.

Powerhead strip down tomorrow but not bothered by condition.

Enjoy, Jacob
Attachments
FV8905 1.jpeg
FV8905 2.jpeg
FV8905 3.jpeg
Nudge

Re: FV8905

Post by Nudge »

when you say it has very low on compression, how low is very low?
can you not make one good engine form the two?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Very low being around 32psi. Now stripped down, piston rings are both jammed with what looks to be a warped piston, also little or no corrosion but the bits of ali around the drive tube are snapped off.

The FVP has previously been converted to 64cc so making 1 out of 2 isn't an option, plus i have a very nice FV already.

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Jacob,I am sorry to hear that the 'bits around the drive shaft tube are snapped off'. Is the the lower crankcase? If so that is probably terminal for FV6905.

What do you mean by yr FVP has been converted to 64cc. Has it been given a replacement crankcase, crankshaft/ con rod assembly? Presumably by BS? Is that FVP5959?

Cheers,

Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Yes Jeremy, bottom crankcase is shot. i will glue them back on with jb weld since the motor will be a ornament.

And yup, crank, conrod, piston and block are all LS parts on FVP5959, good donor motor however.

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Jacob,

The LS engine parts will not fit in a 'normal' FV/FVP crankcase.

What I think is probably going on is that LS crankcases, with LS internals have been used for possibly 'refurbishment' of FVPs. I have the crankcase assembly of FVP6493, which also has LS internals in a LS crankcase. I guess that this 'refurbishment' was probably carried out when stock of FVFVP crankcases were no longer available.
There almost certainly will be others around. Possibly perhaps FVs as well.

Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Jeremy,

It is FVP crankcases with LS internals on FVP5959, when i stripped it down it had all LS bits including the cracked block, after careful measurements i could determine that it was a LS block. I had a complete mint LS powerhead, thats where the BLOCK ONLY came from, all the internals that i re fitted where what came with the FVP when i got it. Anyway, the motor is being broken up so it barely matters that it was a bitsa anymore.
Gannet wrote:.

I have the crankcase assembly of FVP6493, which also has LS internals in a LS crankcase.
Not trying to be rude here but that doesn't make sense, You have a FV crankcase with LS internals but the same internals are also in a LS case!?????

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Jacob,
I think that there is a misunderstanding here.

My FVP6493 is stamped FVP6493 but it is has a crankcase which dimensionally is the same as an LS crankcase. It also has the cast mounting for the tiller.
Does your FVP8905 also have the same dimensions as an LS crankcase? Has it got the cast mounting for the tiller?
I repeat that an LS crankshaft will not fit into a genuine FV/FVP crankcase. The LS crankcase is bigger especially the dimension from the block mounting face to the crankshaft centre line. This is to allow the bigger throw of the crankshaft for the Longer Stroke LS unit.
Could you measure your FVP8905 crankcase and compare the dimensions with an FV/FVP and with an LS crankcase.

I am not taking you comments as being rude, Jacob. We are both trying to establish what is going on. I am trying to be clear that my FVP6493 is stamped FVP6493 but it has had a replacement crankcase assy fitted (and identified FVP6493) well after its original production. And that replacement crankcase assembly is an LS assembly. One suspects that when this refurbishment was carried out, FV/FVP crankcases assemblies were no longer available or the owner wanted the larger capacity version.

It appears that BS on refurbishment sometimes fitted a new crankcase, but stamped it with the original serial number of the crankcase that was replaced. The evidence for this is plain to see on some early FVs which were retrospectively fitted with the later 'webbed' crankcases, but have an their earlier serial number.

You stated that measurements of the block enabled you to determine that it was an LS block. I am interested in what specific dimensions identify an LS block from a FV/FVP block. Could you let me know. Thanks.

I will probably not be able to access this site for a few days as l am off boating in South Devon with FV5141 and FV3048.

All interesting stuff!
Cheers,
Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

Jeremy,

It is FVP5959 that has the LS bits in it. it has a FVP crankcase however.

But thanks i now get what you are talking about with your FV.

I would have to re check the measurement to get a figure but all i did was measure the stroke of the piston, LS stroke being longer then FVP stroke.

Jacob
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Hi Jacob,
I have just got back from holiday.

When you say that FVP5959 has an FVP crankcase (rather than be retrospectively rebuilt with an LS crankcase), is that because it has FVP stamped on it? Or is it because dimensionally it the same as virtually all other pre 10000 serial number FV/FVP crankcases? Is the tiller mounted on a stub from the upper crankcase; a cast face on the lower crankcase; or on a steel bracket off the crankcase studs?

My FVP6493 has the tiller mounted off the cast face on the lower crankcase.
I realise that you wrote FV instead of FVP.

Yes, the LS has a longer stroke than the FV/FVP, but that doesn't mean that the LS block is different to an FV/FVP block.
The LS crankcase is bigger from the block interface to the crankshaft centreline, than the FV/FVP crankcase.

I believe that the LS and FV/FVP block are dimensionally the same. I have struggled to fully understand why that should be so, but I have measured a lot of block and it appears to be the case. If you can provide evidence to the contrary, it would advance our understanding of this issue.

Jeremy