EFPCL to GFP Reversion: Success!

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

sbbloom69
EFPCL to GFP Reversion: Success!

Postby sbbloom69 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:26 am

Hi
I have (had) a non-running 1985 EFPCL (long shaft, clutch, 40). It had a dead Wipac Mark IV CDI. I gambled and bought some parts from a dead GFP (flywheel, ignition plate, coil/points, etc). AS I disassembled the powerhead, I noticed that the crankcase was cracked where the tiller mount is cast into the case. Someone had even tried to braze/weld/epoxy the crack.

I picked up a crankcase. The resurrection went very well. All the parts went on easily. I kept track of all the parts that I disassembled. I started the motor on Sunday, but it wouldn't without some starting fluid (ether). It wouldn't idle down or run at less than 50% throttle. I made the assumption, that my altitude of 6900 feet was richening up my mixture. I pulled the AMAL 416 carb and set the jet needled down one notch. I put fresh gas mix (25:1) in. 2nd crank and it purrs like a kitten. Run sweet! My Frankenseagull lives! I hate the idea that a 40 seagull had to die to provide the parts for my motor. But, my motor runs, and good!

If anyone is interested in how I did this project, let me know. I posted picks and a video on the Face Book British Seagull group page.

Stu
Los Alamos, NM, USA

Horsley-Anarak

Re: EFPCL to GFP Reversion: Success!

Postby Horsley-Anarak » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:11 pm

sbbloom69 wrote:If anyone is interested in how I did this project, let me know. I posted picks and a video on the Face Book British Seagull group page.
Stu
Los Alamos, NM, USA

You could always post pictures here.

Return to “General Topics”